Lonesome Lightning

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Final Day of an amazing week spent chasing storms in Southern Arizona.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

We stopped for lightning, but as the minutes went by, this amazing scene unfolded: the rainbow curving over the mountain range that briefly was perfectly lit by the sun peeking through the stormy sky, and at the right moment, one single lightning bolt. The skies above its own story, with the dramatic clouds showing of their sheer force.

It was a moment that overwhelmed me with nature’s beauty and power.

I wonder how this image made you feel…

Technical Details

tripod, 1/20sec, f/14/ , ISO 64, 24mm (You can tell from the ISO setting that the moment overwhelmed me to the point of not really thinking about settings…)

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcomed.

1 Like

My initial response - there’s a hell down below, but heaven’s above! What a beautiful combination of natural forces you captured here. Although my eyes are pulled to the bottom, then top, and then back again, I really don’t mind. There’s a lot to read into this - or it can just be enjoyed very large on a wall.

1 Like

Ho. Lee. COW – this is incredible!!! That awesome sky and then I find a lone lightning bolt and then a rainbow!!! And the sun behind me illuminating the landscape and making the rainbow! The beauty of power!

An overwhelming and spectacular display of nature’s power and beauty which you have captured wonderfully. My first reaction was to wish I had been there to experience the moment and feel almost insignificant. One of your finest.

I see hell up above in those black clouds. The issue of heaven and hell aside, this proves that your seeing is wonderful. The balance with the whitish clouds above and the striking light foreground works perfectly. Calling this an amazing capture is an understatement. This belongs in a frame. Extraordinary image.

@Jim_Gavin, @Diane_Miller , @Larry_Greenbaum, @Mike_Friel Thank you all for taking the time to comment; always appreciated. This was truly an amazing moment, and actually part of an amazing week of storm chasing in Southern Arizona. A true display of nature’s power, and beauty.

Well, this really stopped me as I was scrolling through. How dramatic! The incredible clouds were what first drew me, but there is some equally fantastic stuff going on down beneath. The light in this photo is amazing. I just want to keep looking and looking at the image.

Thank you very much, Chris! Really happy you like this image; one of my personal favorites of this year’s portfolio :slight_smile: