Rain Coming

I was out in Utah in March for a week. A buddy from Wisconsin and I decided on this spot to meet up as he came in from the east and I from the west. I was lucky to be in the right spot at the right time as this storm came through while I was waiting for my friend. About 20 minutes after making this image, I was running for the truck as a quick downpour hit.

D850, 70-200mm

4 Likes

The scale here is truly epic. The cloud deck just goes on and on. The light within and without is tremendous. Interesting to choose a center placement for the rock formation. Can you talk about why that felt right to you?

Oh and glad you’re back.

Harley, truly one of the best I’ve ever seen from this location. Oddly, I have one from here with the rain approaching from the backside and overhead instead of out front in the distance like here… :cowboy_hat_face:
The light here is the key to a gorgeous image…BIG PRINT… :+1: :+1:

Man, this is right out of Close Encounters. I love how you’ve handled this in post. The colours are rich and ominous, the textures exquisitely detailed, and the lighting is to die for. You are Meister of the Big Sky. Standing there taking the picture must have had the hairs on your arms standing on end. Just fabulous, Harley.

Fantastic!! The light is amazing and the processing spot-on! Hoping we get to see a lot more of your amazing work!

I like the spot lighting on the top of the butte which contrasts nicely with the impending threat of the moody storm clouds. Great work!

Outstanding Harley! A grand and glorious landscape! Speaking of moments in time, it’s not likely you’ll forget this one. The light and color at the top of the butte - against the ominous darkness - is just exquisite.

Not even a thought to change or improve.

Lot’s to like here in the sky and I love how the desert earthy colours pop against the blue sky

Simply incredible Harley. It’s the dark, ominous sky with the well lit light in the foreground and butte that really makes this image sing. I really like the light on the red rock at the top of the butte and the incoming rain, so dark and and ready to play off to the left. I also like the background where half is in light and half is in deep shadow. You had some seriously terrific conditions here Harley. Very glad you posted this one. One of my absolute favorites of yours.
Glad to see you back.

Yet another fabulous photo from the Southwest! Welcome back.

I love the ominous sky and amazing foreground light Harley.

It is hard to say why it felt right, but it just looked and felt right when composing. I think it was the balance between the dark hills on the left and brighter ones on the right.

I don’t have much to add other than to say that I love this. Beautiful image Harley!