Rain And Light

This is another from Idaho.

D810, 70-200mm

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Oh Man, this is killer! You’ve been holding out.

Powerful and dramatic light and strong composition. Only thought would be to play with the black slider to darken the blacks a bit. Wouldn’t want to push the contrast too far and lose the tremendous atmosphere. This would make a great print over your new leather couch ;o)…

This is fairly spectacular, Harley…
You may have pushed this as far as possible, but if you can squeeze a bit light out of the cloud I would.

This is great Harley. You came across some great atmospheric conditions. I think this can be dramatized even more but I don’t have the processing skill to suggest how to do it. The light/dark in the sky can be enhanced I believe. You could pull out more texture in the dark woods in the lower right. I love it as is this though. All the right elements are there.

Harley, this is simply spectacular, it’s not often that you see virga as large and interesting as this. I think your composition is perfect as is. I really like the small band of dark ridge-line at the bottom, it creates such an accent on this image. I agree with Dave’s comments about the black point, and that the sky could take a little more contrast. I would burn the darks part of the sky a little bit (and not darken the mountain much), and leave the highlights in the sky unaffected. Really a classic B&W image…

Really great image, @Harley_Goldman. Good composition for an intimate mountain image. The b&w looks appropriate but… I am wondering about a color version :blush:

These small extent showers are a regular occurrence in the Northern Rockies, Harley. You’ve got a great capture on this one with the well lit rain bands and the mountain hiding behind. Great job.

Yup!

Fantastic atmosphere Harley! A great nature moment. I too think you could squeeze a bit more light from the squall and contrast in general; but not much is needed.

The landscape is set up nicely too with the peaks and the forested ridge anchoring the bottom. Excellent!

This must be the image you were thinking about when you commented in the Processing discussion about noise in the sky? Wish I had some advice. I’ll just have to check back in that thread to see what others are advising. Noise isn’t bad, I suppose it’s a matter of how much it bugs you and what would a print look like.

Harley, love this one and can’t see any changes for me. Sometimes the scenes are really kind to us, this one fits that category for sure…:sunglasses: