A vortex of last light

I was walking on a beach that I usually go to a lot, I was looking for something quiet and calm, but the sea was rough, so I changed my plan and looked for a place where there were small waterfalls along with a vortex-like that forms under the falls, although I wanted a more miniature scene, in the end, I connected to this frame, hoping that the last minutes before sunset would give me a warm light on the small waterfalls and also that the light from the right side will balance the left side of the frame.

Specific Feedback Requested

Although I got what I planned, something is missing for me, I would appreciate any feedback and especially what you would do differently to create more interest in the scene.

Technical Details

Canon M50
Canon EF 16-36 Gen 2
ISO 400; 29mm; f/13; 0.3 sec

2 Likes

Hi Ron. It’s a very nice scene. The light is so soft on the rocks and waterfalls. It maybe feels a little unbalanced? All of those dark tones to the left and all of the light tones to the right? Looking again I also really like your title.

Hi Ron, this is a great composition. Love how the water comes in from the left and how the sky darkens as it goes to the left. I agree with @Cameron_Wilcox that you could dodge/brighten the tops of the cliffs on the left, and the foreground to wind up with a more luminous balance in the overall image.

The shutter speed looks spot on.

Ron,

I absolutely love the action in the surf; long enough shutter speed to render some great texture and movement, yet fast enough to not render the sea a ghostly wash. I greatly appreciate this apsect of the image and capture.

The sky is phenomenal! Love the almost metalic glow throughout.

I’m not so sure there’s an imbalance of light and dark, left to right, but the coastal rock and shore just almost seem ambiguous - and I’m not quite sure why or what could be done. I suppose with some dodging and burning you could improve things. I would like to see an emphasis on that warm, late light striking the rocks and cascades.

This is a beautiful seascape. Perhaps a couple of tweaks and this will be stellar.

Lon