Behind the Sunset

Canon EOS 5D mark IV f/16 0.8 sec ISO-100 32mm Reverse 3 stop grad. I was shoot into the setting sunset for a star burst when I looked behind me to see this scene.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice Image Larry, I like the land leading out to sea and the dramatic clouds. One thing I noticed is it looks like your sky on the horizon is blown out and I’m not sure it can be recovered without having another exposure that is a little darker. Did shoot more than one exposure with this composition?

Larry,

Love the light! I’m also thoroughly enjoying the wave lines and the colors there as well; the water as well as the whites of the crashing waves. They all contrast nicely with the warmth of the light striking the shoreline.

Horizon doesn’t look blown to me - but what is apparent is how the cloudy sky is so much darker than I would expect. I can guess from your description you had the grad on shooting towards the sun (would make sense there,) but then when turning around, you just left the filter on. IMHO, shooting away from the sun the scene and light is more even and I wouldn’t think a grad would be needed. I do think the darkness does add to the stormy atmosphere, but a little too dark for me. the other clue with the grad is that the trees on the left are lighter at the bottom, and then get distinctively darker; when the light should have been pretty even naturally.

Again, loving the warm/cool contrast between the incoming waves and the shoreline. I expect that was an enjoyable moment.

Lon

I like the water a lot, I would lose the grad filter… It always gives an HD look to photos,
A normal exposure of this scene would have worked.

I’m with you in looking away from sunsets Larry! The best shots are often behind you. I’m as much as possible an original-capture shooter and a fan and frequent user of ND Grad filters as an alternative to post-processing. In this case though, I think the 3-stop version is a little heavy for the scene. I’d use post to tone down the effects of the Grad to bring it back to somewhere between 1 and 2 stops.

I really like the motion in the waves and the light and colours of the land but for me the sky is just too dark and doesn’t fit with the rest of the scene. Make the sky a bit brighter and you’ll have a winner!

A really beautiful rendition of coastal beauty. The drama in the sky is a nice counterpoint to the gorgeous wave action. I also like the warm evening light.

Gorgeous image with a magical; blend of tones (blues/oranges). Purely personal preference but this is definitely about those beautiful waves and the orange glow on the shoreline. The clouds definitely add some mood but I feel you could crop down to the top of the trees on the left and perhaps brighten their tops just a shade…or you could do absolutely nothing and still have a stunning image.

Beautiful scene and beach. I like the warmth of the colors and the motion of the waves. The sky, however, is too dark for my liking. I tend to darken my skies to add drama to the images so I know what you’re trying to get across here but here it’s a bit overpowering the beauty of the image. Easy fix if you wanted it change.

Noel