A Winter Afternooon in Vienna Woods

This is just an impression from a walk in Vienna Woods on an afternoon in late winter.

Comments and critique are welcome.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Peter, just a suggestion here, I would edit this post to include a larger version of the image. I think the ability to better see the nice details in this image would benefit the viewers.

I love the soft, gentle light and muted colors in this image. The light, and/or your processing has created a wonderful luminous glow in this mage, it is really quite lovely. Great job on visualizing the potential in this scene. For me the dark tree trunk on the far left has a lot of visual weight, and pulls my eye away from the center a bit. One solution would be a crop from the left. But that would take the silver birch off-center, and it looks like that it was your intent to have it centered. Another possibility might be to lighten or reduce contrast in the area of that left tree.

Peter, lovely conditions and soft light. Well seen. I really enjoy this type of mid-canopy woodland image. I like the contrast between the strong verticals of the trunks and the wilting foliage left on this branch. It’s very reminiscent of what I see in winter around where I live.

I think it’s a matter of personal preference, but I would tend to frame up the composition so that the subject of the branch with foliage is more central or in the upper half of the frame, maybe just off to one side. When it’s on the lower portion, it feels a bit heavy in the frame.

I see where Ed was coming from but wasn’t personally distracted by that darker trunk on the left.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Now that Ed mentioned the dark trunk on the left, I can’t unsee it, and a hand crop of it looks better. Also that partial trunk on the right is slightly distracting also. But the light and elements here are very appealing, and the soft colors work nicely.

Funny, me too.

I love the overall affect of this Peter. The tree textures and lines are wonderful, and the leaves fit in nicely. I totally agree on posting a larger version.

Hi Peter, I like the side lighting on the trees and the cloud-like look of leaves floating in the forest.

This is very nice Peter,
I love the soft light here.

I think you need that dark tree to balance the dark trees on the right. I would simply dodge the left tree somewhat to lessen it’s weight.

My favorite thing about this image is how the light permeates the woods.