Abandoned

Abandoned house, a child’s grave in the front yard. Who lived here? What were their stories?

2 photos, different crop. Slightly different processing. I feel like they’re very different images with different stories but let me know eh?

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. Rip it apart. Trying to get better.

Technical Details

ACR played with the sliders until it looked good. Sony Rx 100 mk iii wide ish, fast ish low iso. Second image Rx 100 mk iii, tighter, same iso (125)

Fun shot! Little doors and windows to shoot through back into nature are always enjoyable but clearly, you know that. The lighting here is spot on. It’s not easy to balance shadows inside with sunlight outside. You nailed it. In terms of the composition, it might look interesting to remove the right wall and crop to just show the door on the right side of the frame. The highlight on the right wall is a little distracting because that’s where my eye is pulling when I look. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Both images are very good and very strong for different reasons. I get a real sense of the place with the first one, the decay, aging, and debris. The second one feels like a doorway to another land. Both are excellent.

I agree with @David_Johnston that the highlights on the right wall could be darkened some. But that is a minor thing.

1 Like

Very interesting, and well done! I prefer the processing of the trees in the first version, and wonder how the second would look with the same tonally softer look. I wonder about a compromize between @David_Johnston and @David_Bostock on the right wall – cloning out the five horizontal highlights and the dark object on the right wall.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the support. What I’m getting is this (in general terms):

simplify the composition, remove distracting elements and don’t be afraid to crop.

Two very different vibes from the same image. I like the story that the first image tells. Cracked walls, decay everywhere, an opening into the world below with that cutout in the floor, the stairs leading up to who knows where, the empty dresser with the drawer open, the water pan sitting in leaves on the floor and the window on the left that you can’t see but is clearly outlined on the right wall. Wow! I don’t get nearly that story from the second image. Not that I don’t like the second image but it just doesn’t tell the same story at all. It’s clearly more simplified, and I actually like the processing that you did on the outside trees and shrubs and the overall cooler tones and mood you created in this one. I like both images but I guess it depends what kind of story you want your image to tell. In the first image, it’s all laid out for you and in the second, you can pretty much make up whatever story you want as you have to use your imagination more. Really liking these Andronik!

1 Like

Couldn’t resist having a try at my idea. Lightened the left a bit, too.

1 Like

Seeing it simplified I agree that it does help the overall image.

Time for me to get more comfortable with Photoshop :+1:

Very atmospheric. I like the contrast between the dark interior and the brightness of the outdoors - it is a contrast between despair and hope or past and future. I like the high contrast and did not find it distracting as some did. I find in these old buildings it is good to retain some mystery. Nice image, thanks for sharing.

You have here two very different photographs, particularly when it comes to the mood of them.

The vertical photograph feels quite dark, yet it shows the potential for further life, for hope from the outside world. I love the striped lighting which was achieved - from a boarded window, perhaps? - but I feel the outside could be darkened down a touch. The highlights seem a bit too bright to my eye, too bright compared to the inside, by just a touch.

The horizontal photograph tells the story of an abandoned house, though the story is not as dark as the vertical piece. The outside looks much nicer, tonally, than the vertical as well. If you are to go with a similar mood as the other piece, I would recommend darkening the overall exposure. Really lean in on the highlights and let the shadows turn the room into a more ominous area.

1 Like

I will definitely try your suggestions, thank you for your critique!

1 Like