About to fall

Image:

Description:

I was drawn to this little leaf because it still has a tinge of green despite its bedraggled state. I’m not sure what kind of tree it’s on, but it could be hornbeam since those usually hold on to leaves well into winter. Another serendipitous find while out in the snow the other day - I had no idea this weekly theme was in the works. I’m lucky it hasn’t been windy because I think the snow adds a nice element to the photo.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Did I miss any spots in the stack? Definitely an exercise in retouching.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Tripod practically buried in the snow to get a clean background
Focus bracketing method 0/-/+ and probably +4 step

Lr for basic work to bring up some exposure for a more high-key look. Accentuated texture and detail before bringing it to Zerene for the stack. About 20 images. Lots of retouching. Then a crop in Lr and some masking to bring up color and contour in the leaf itself.

3 Likes

Wonderful ragged shapes and textures, with a lovely array of colors! The bits of ice are perfect! I don’t see anything you missed.

I wonder how a different version might look with some texture and/or a hint of vague OOF branches in the snow, probably as a substituted BG – just for fun.

Hm…I never would have thought to swap out a background I worked so hard to find, but it is an idea. Maybe a subtle texture would be nice. I’ve only ever done that once, and funnily enough it was another leaf picture. It was so long ago I have no idea how or from where I added the texture. I don’t keep any kind of file of these things.

Wonderful image, Kris. Must admit I am so envious of your four seasons and the diversity of the landscape you have around. I love the simplicity of it, the detail in the leaf and the ice crystals make for a perfectly ragged photo for the challenge. I can certainly see what @Diane_Miller has in mind, and yes, it would be fun to play with to see how a background might influence the image.

Thanks @linda_mellor - four seasons is right! Lots of ice and snow right now and that should continue through April. Come on up!

Thanks for the offer, Kris. Will definitely le you know when I’m in the area, as for now I will settle on seeing your wonderful photos.