Abstract ICM Landscapes

Stephanie, welcome to the Landscape Critique forum, I’m glad you decided to dip your toe into the water and post one for critique. I enjoyed the interesting discussion generated by your earlier “I’m new to NPN, what do you think of ICM’s” post in the discussion forums.

I think you will find many sub- genres of landscape photography are welcomed in this critique forum, and in my opinion ICM landscapes will be too. That doesn’t mean all the comments you receive here will be favorable, but usually the criticism here is done very constructively. One lesson that I have learned here is that it is usually small, subtle changes that take images from good to great. And the collective knowledge and views of the people in this forum often do a good job of forcing you to think about these things.

With that said, abstract type images can be some of the most difficult to critique, because appreciation of them becomes very subjective. I tend to react to abstracts more emotionally, instead of reacting to them rationally. For me, ICM images are most successful when they create an emotional reaction or a strong mood.

I think you will find a number of people here who appreciate images that make them think. My reaction to this image is favorable, it does make me think. Clearly this image creates a strong sunrise/sunset mood, which carries some emotion. While some people might try to to think about what they are looking at, instead I try to think about do the creative elements here work cohesively. I like the cool and warm color contrast, and I like the gradient of color in the sky. What might be an apparently tilted “horizon” which would be a deal breaker in a traditional landscape, works for me here because it only adds to the surrealism of the image.

This image is primarily about color, and there is an aspect of the color that concerns me. The strong orange saturation low in the sky feels a little discordant to me with the more muted colors above and below. Again this is subjective, but I think the image would be more harmonious if the disparity in saturation across the image wasn’t so great. I would suggest reducing the orange saturation low in the sky, and increasing the vibrance in the colors of the “land/water/whatever” below, to bring them into better saturation balance. I’m not saying the orange is over-saturated, in abstract images strong saturation can be used for creative effect much more so than in traditional landscapes. But I think the saturation here would benefit from a better balance across the image. Just my $0.02.

And BTW, here is an ICM of my own that I posted recently in Flora Critique

1 Like