The next ICM

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’m sure there is a good title here but so far it has eluded me. Abstraction # 376?

Had to play yesterday afternoon, but it has been so beautifully clear and warm here that ICM seemed like a good idea for the light. The only frame I liked out of about 100. This was near the end, handheld, and my arms were about to fall off. I was looking up into the trees, interested in several bright branches, and I was hoping I wouldn’t fall over backwards. That’s why the sky is at the bottom.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 7.32.31 AM

I had the camera set up waiting/hoping for a friend in town to call with a report that the Waxwings were back on a tree near her house, so decided to try the long lens with a 4-stop ND. This is a single frame, with only a small amount of 50% opacity cloning to simplify a couple of areas, and some tonal tweaking.

2 Likes

Diane, you fooled me. I thought this was a water reflection! Great job expressing a sense of mystery. The good and blue tones are always a winning combination. I also get this impression of gold dust fluttering in the wind. Lovely ICM!

Diane, I am glad you didn’t fall over and that your arms didn’t fall off! If you hadn’t put the ICM in the title I think I too would have that it was a reflection in the water. I haven’t been very successful with ICM, but then I haven’t really invested the time in it. We can’t expect much when we only invest a few shots once in a while in any area of photography. Nicely done.

1 Like

I love the combination of coarse and fine textures in the trees, Diane. For my taste, the blue is just a bit jarring, perhaps it feels a little too sober for the exuberance of the other tones. If it were mine, I’d probably play with those tones a bit, but that’s just my interpretation of the image.

Diane, After all that leaning up, you could say, “The Sky is Falling…” and it ended up on the bottom of the image. Nicely done, Diane. One out of 100 worked well, terrific.

1 Like

This has to be viewed large and when doing so, all of the little details come through that you really don’t see in the thumbnail. Because the sky is at the bottom, I thought this was a reflection but I read your information and low and behold, it’s a tired arm, hanging upside down ICM. Who knew?? LOL
Turbulent. Not sure why but that’s what I see when viewing large. I love this image. Well done.

Many thanks, @Alfredo_Mora, @Shirley_Freeman, @Dennis_Plank, @Larry_Greenbaum and @David_Haynes! This stuff has a low ratio of reward to frustration, but it’s worth it – and a good thing to do on a bight, sunny day when the light isn’t good for anything else.

1 Like

Diane,

Excellent ICM! I especially like how the motion seemingly is blending the colors in addition to the subject. In fact, given this is an abstract I would be inclined to emphasize those blue/gold colors - and of course it’s all a matter of personal preferences.

If I were to suggest any change, it might be a crop. My personal preference is a dislike for the tall, vertical digital format - my issue… :roll_eyes: Only reason for shortening. But as prevented with the direction of motion, this also works very well just as presented. :slight_smile:

This is my outlook as well. There is always something worth shooting/creating regardless of the time of day, light, etc. A CPL or ND filter works wonders during bright midday light.

Thanks for sharing Diane!

Lon

Thanks, @Lon_Overacker – and apologies for the late reply – I have been inconvenienced lately by the late and sporadic arrival of Cedar Waxwings on a local Hawthorn. It is amazing how well ICM works when the light is too awful for even IR. I have a few more to post – thanks to a rare rainy day that kept me inside.