Nearby State Park

There was some very nice light roughly a half hour prior to sunset on this evening in which I’d not toyed with ICM previously. So, in between looking for and shooting ‘straight’ woodlands scenes, I opted to give it a go.

Specific Feedback Requested

Nothing specific. Just posting to get an idea of how others perceive the image.

Technical Details

Don’t think there’s anything particularly out of the ordinary. As a RAW file, it was pretty flat (ain’t it always the case with ICM) and so the contrast needed a significant boost.

4 Likes

Very nice! I love the darker and bluer lower part, which gives a nice base of visual weight against the sturdy trees with their lovely browns. Nice lighting and subtle detail!

1 Like

A very generous comment. Thanks so much!

Really nice depth here RJ and that darker blue base contrasts well with the warmer colors of the trees. I think my biggest concern is that thicker and brighter tree just left of center. You could try darkening it a bit but otherwise, the image has a nice balance with the trees.

Alfredo,

Appreciate the comment. I understand what you say re: the tree just left of center and suspect others may share your thoughts. For me, that one serves as the ‘leading actor in a starring role’ for the shot and as such needs to stand out to fulfill that role. In fact, I did knock down the brightness a bit in post (it was really bright SOOC! :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

RJ,

A bit late here, but wanted to offer my comments. I’m a big fan and creotor of ICM’s and I’m really enjoying this one. What stands out to me is exactly what you recognized at the time, and that is the “late light”. It’s quite striking here and to me it’s main story of the image. The blues and darker lower part that Diane mentions makes for a great contrast and overall balance. Love it.

I often lean towards square crops with ICM for some reason, but I think this works quite well as presented. I have no further nits or suggestions. If anything, I hope that your little experiment with the ICM encourages you to keep at it - at least add it to your tool belt.

Lon

Thanks for the comment, Lon. Much appreciated.

The blues in this one are the result of a dusting of snow we’d received the day prior. And as a fairly complementary color to the warmth of the trees, I thought it offered a nice contrast.

I am prone to cropping ICM with some regularity…though I’m not married to any particular aspect ratio. Just utilize whatever seems to best fit some portion of the capture compositionally. This one might have succeeded with a couple options. I think I opted on a 16x9 aspect ratio for this one, but looking at it now, I suspect it would work as a 4x3 (maybe 4x5) from here by cropping off some of the right side and losing the dominant tree on that end.

I’ve had a strange journey with ICM. I started playing with it just as a change of pace from my normal pursuits. And after a while, I wound up being so ‘into’ it I thought I might never shoot a straight image again. And for about a year, I did pursue ICM almost exclusively. But now I’ve reached a point where The Thrill Is Gone…almost. And that because I’ve not been able to find a uniquely personal style. And as I view more & more ICM images, I’ve become a little disconcerted with how ubiquitous an ICM style can become rather quickly. I’ve seen folks do some extraordinarily nice work. But as soon as someone else figures out the camera movement used (or the originator shares it with ‘the world’) they start producing works that are all but indistinguishable from those the originator shares.

Now ask me why that bothers me so for ICM, but the existence of 85 million Ansel Adams wannabes in the world doesn’t faze me in the least, and I’ll readily admit I dunno. But that’s where I find myself currently. I doubt I’ll abandon ICM entirely, but likely it will become another tool I’ll drag out occasionally.

Thanks again for the comment!

1 Like

RJ, thanks for your peronal note on the ICM. I feel similarly. I have a lot of fun with it and acknowledge much of the time it’s unfullfilling random luck… However, used with a bit more purpose and understanding and it can be very creative. In the end, it is simply a tool in the tool box to be used when the right job requires it.

Thanks for sharing!

Appreciate you listening to my whining. :slight_smile: Mostly it’s actually my own shortcomings. I like to work in ‘projects’ (‘series’ if you prefer) these days and I’ve just not managed to define an umbrella theme/artist statement that seems to suitably fit my ICM work. Lack of purpose as you say.