Evening Light + RP

And a rework with the suggestions below – I think it’s a great improvement:

A few days ago I posted a daytime ICM as a warmup for what I hoped would be an interesting opportunity in sunset light. As is often the case, I didn’t get what I was hoping for with the tree I had in mind. A nearby one offered itself instead and I accepted with gratitude.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 8.17.30 AM

Very little if anything done in LR; two slightly different sweeps of the same subject loaded into PS as two layers with the top one in Soft Light mode. Some large, soft-edged areas darkened a bit.

Here’s the daytime image – probably an adjacent tree, looking higher at the branches.

Just goes to show your patience paid off, Diane. The sunset lighting is gorgeous, as is your control of the movement. In the “if it were mine category,” I might consider burning down the lower bright portions of the reflection. Very nicely done.

I love he colors in these last two images of yours, Diane. I think it’s the blues that really pop here. Good overall balance in the image as well. I agree with @linda_mellor about burning down the highlights at the very bottom of the frame. Otherwise, I can’t offer any suggestions to improve this one. Glad you had a backup subject to shoot.

Thanks, @linda_mellor and @David_Haynes! I had brought down the bright areas but not enough – good suggestion – I’ve posted a new version above.

1 Like

The new version really works nicely, Diane. Great work toning down the highlights.

Love that colour combo Diane. Looks like it was a fast pan which has given it some strong lines and lots of energy. Beautiful.

Diane,

Thanks for taking the time and reposting. I think the elimination of the brightness at the bottom was the ticket - agree with others that was distracting.

I especially like the textures in the main tree as well as the gray color. I like how those textured grays are surrounded and complimented by the blues and streaks of the warmer tones.

I don’t know if or how local this tree is for you, but I have a tree in my backyard that has been a gold mine for ICM’s. ie. different seasons, (spring leaves, autumn leaves - no leaves…) bright light, blue skies, late light, sunset colors, etc etc… I guess what I’m trying to say that there are subjects like this that can produce so many different results simply by visiting the same place at different times and conditions.

Well done ICM!

Lon

Thanks @David_Bostock, @AndreDonawa and @Lon_Overacker! Lon, it’s on our property, about 300 ft from the house. There are several trees there that I’ve used for ICM subjects, and several bigger ones in a different direction, but none is very interesting – all are boring Blue Oaks. But I should shoot a regular frame before each set of sweeps, so I know which tree to try again for the occasional interesting shot, in different light and seasons. (Of course, there is only really a choice of two seasons here…)

1 Like