Morning Light on the Forest

Image:

Description:

Inspired by @Alfredo Mora’s ICM article and @Lon_Overacker’s recent post, I went out in search of some trees. I found a few this morning with some soft overcast light and tried my hand at ICM. It’s not as easy as it might seem. This image seemed to have that painterly quality. Let me know what you think.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

150mm, 0.8 sec @ f/11, ISO 200, Polarizer, tripod w/3 way head leveled and set for vertical movement only.

I find that I for my motion speed, exposure time needs to be somewhere between .5 sec and 1.5 sec. Also, starting movement before hitting the shutter and then following through for the whole exposure helps a lot.

3 Likes

This is a very carefully crafted image David, which I know can be a challenge when doing ICM and you don’t fully know what you have until you review the photos. I really like the image’s structure and balance, especially the area where the second tree from the left fades from brown to green. When viewing this on the dark gray background here on NPN, I’d be tempted to slightly darken the upper half of the left edge since the brighter area gives a bit of visual tension and pulls attention away from the nearest tree. When viewed on a white background that edge might not be an issue, but I’d still consider burning that area a tad. Definitely a very pleasing image overall. Well done.

Wow, David, this is really good. Very pleasant to view.

David, A truly wonderful experimental and different spin with this image. No doubt the instant feed back with digital makes images like this a better approach over any film efforts. And yes, painterly look is the excellent outcome here… :+1:

Oh wow, David! I love, love this! There’s a stand of trees I’ve been working on, I’m hoping I’ll get it the way I want it soon! Great work!

1 Like

ICM is great, but I think your composition really helps here to make a fine image. The four trees, with two pinker and two more green, with the way the three on the left support the foreground tree is wonderful.

Outstanding capture and process, David.

Hi David! This is a very cool ICM image! Well done! I need to get enough courage to give this a try.

Thank you all for the nice comments here. I truly appreciate it, especially since this is a new avenue for me.

@Ben_Horne, I see what you mean by the upper left corner. I have darkened it on my original. Thanks for noticing it.

@Shirley_Freeman, thank you, I am glad you like it.

@Paul_Breitkreuz, yes, Digital makes this kind of experimenting possible. Can’t imagine how many rolls of film would be wasted trying this. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

@Vanessa_Hill thank you so much for your comments. It means a lot to me.

@John_Williams, yes, the composition still has to be there for ICM to work. Thanks for your comments.

@linda_mellor, thank you for your comments.

@Steve_Kennedy, We should think about heading out somewhere for a morning shoot and try our hands at ICM. Maybe the Gorge? I’m heading there next week to scout it out.

2 Likes

Great ICM image, David. Great colors and 3D feeling. I also like that the vertical lines are that sharp due to your locking of the tripod head movement. It is often said that ICM is just a random outcome but I think by a combination of planning and techniques (e.g. ND filters to get long enough shutter speed to control the speed of movement and restraint of movement to control the direction of movement) together with experience you could visualize and try to achieve a specific image. Of course you have to make several attempts before you succeed.

1 Like

Thank you, Ola. Yes, it’s all about experimentation and does take several attempts to get something useful. I believe I took 15-20 shots of this set of trees to get one that was ok. I do like the sharp lines that restricting the movement brought out.

Cheers,
David

Yay! Love this David! Love the colors and the contrast you achieved here. Full of vibrance and energy. And of course the trees, forest make for an excellent playground for ICM’s. Compositionally, I really like how the forward tree is brighter and the other trees a bit more subdued.

Wouldn’t change anything. A wonderful ICM image.

Thanks for the reference too! Glad to you know you were inspired! I think secretly many follks are trying this… but I get it’s not for everyone. :slight_smile:

Lon

Thank you, Lon. I appreciate your comments and thoughts. I am really getting into ICM and closeup shallow focus imaging right now, mainly because I can’t stray too far from home. It’s opened up a new world for me and has reinvigorated my creativity.

Cheers,
David

This is an excellent ICM image David with nice parallel lines. It also has a 3D feel to it and I like the sharper detail in the two orange trunks.

1 Like

This looks good to me. I’m admittedly not the world’s biggest ICM fan but this one works!

1 Like

Thanks Matt, I appreciate your comments, especially since you’re not a big ICM fan…neither was I until recently. :slightly_smiling_face: