Smoky morning light

Yesterday morning we had some thin high clouds suffused with a layer of smoke from some raging fires, fortunately far away. I ran outside to enjoy the light and noticed (for the first time, I think) two trees on a neighboring hillside. The leaves are starting to fade and the lichen-covered branches stood out, and the shadow on the uncut native grass was a nice touch. I shot first from the deck then climbed up the hill behind the house to move a closer tree in the LR out of the composition. I shot it straight first then tried ICM, which I liked better. This was one of the first few frames and I liked it best.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 7.56.03 PM

This is the raw file with only a slight increase in the Shadows slider. Tripod with gimbal head for smooth movement.

1 Like

Lovely ICM image Diane. Certainly looks like a water reflection to me. The white lichen covered branches provide a nice contrast to the earthy colors of the trees and grasses.

Have you considered a multi exposure blend if your camera supports it? It’s yet another way to experiment and combine natural elements together to express yourself.

I really like this Diane. I think it works very well as an abstract, while still retaining some sense of the subject. I also really like the warm colors. Cool stuff here.

Wonderful Diane. Love the soft warm colors with just a hint of green here and there. Certainly impressionistic with great lines and textures. Nicely seen and captured.

I can totally see what the subject is and there is just enough blur to give it that painterly feel. I love the lichen highlighted in flowing lines. I might dodge the tree trunks as they immediately draw the eye because they are so dark but not much. What a great take on these two trees Diane.

Thanks, @Alfredo_Mora, @David_Bostock, @linda_mellor and @David_Haynes! I will play with lightening the trunks – they do feel a bit dark. Alfredo, I do have in-camera multiple exposure and haven’t played with it in years (on a much older body). I do usually combine several similars in PS and pay with blending modes, masking and adjustments.

Diane,

Terrific ICM. I think you have wonderful subject(s) here and looks like great potential for future exposures and conditions.

I actually like the dark trunk and like both the colors and the contrast it’s providing - as well as the secondary trunk. Hard to guess, but I’m thinking some hanging spanish moss? Oh but wait, you mentioned the lichen…

I’m really attracted to the left half+ and think an alternative would be to crop most of the brighter branches and greenery in the LR. Not a huge deal and not an image killer, but I think could be simplified.

I’m hoping we find some ICM subjects at Point Reyes!