Another ICM

Trying to channel some creative mojo without going to any trouble.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Two images combined in Hard Light mode. Minimal LR adjustments.

4 Likes

I love this photo! The vertical lines, the color, and the ICM make this a dramatic image. This is a piece of art. Well done!

Oh! Very nice Diane. I love the colours of the bark against the blue sky. The composition is very appealing. I find it a bit daunting sometimes to find a nice composition within an ICM.

Haha, without going to any trouble. I am glad I had not jus sipped my glass of wine!

This is really a great image. Were both images taken from the same location/space?

Thanks guys! Yes, @David_Bostock, standing in the same place, maybe aimed a little bit differently. I’d post the 2 originals but I’m in computer hell at the moment. Got a new MacBook Pro M1 Pro with the latest (and apparently still beta) OS and a lot of things don’t work. After several days of careful migration and tweaking I finally got the Drobo to mount and work, but had a lot of trouble with Topaz Denoise. I finally thought I had it installed correctly and it was working, then today, apparently out of the blue, it started hanging. I tried the supposed fix on their help site but it didn’t help. Just to see if it would help, I rebooted the computer. The Drobo tried to re-start but now it isn’t mounted and is stuck in some sort of infinite loop of lights sequencing!!! I’m ready to scream!

I am not usually a fan of including sky in tree ICM’s, because the sky often appears as distracting bright white patches. But here you have made the sky an integral part of the image, adding structure to the composition, and creating warm/cool color contrast. This is a case where the sky helps creates a good composition, as @glennie notes this is sometimes hard to do with ICM’s, but Diane you found a good way here.

Thanks @scott_fenton, @glennie, @David_Bostock and @Ed_McGuirk – I got things working again with the computer, with incredibly dumb luck with a search for the Denoise problem. It turns out is a huge bug with the Wacom driver interacting with Denoise, of all things. If I just use the mouse to run the Denoise plugin, all is fine. Not sure if that hangup was what caused the Drobo issue, but I turned it off and got the computer rebooted, then was able to restart it. So anyhow, here are the 2 original raw files. Just stacked in PS with virtually no adjustments except shadows pulled lighter, then the top one in Hard Light. I did do a warp on the top part of the trunk in the second one to line the two up better. They are adjacent frames in the filmstrip.

1 Like

Great image
I have not been successful with ICM. This is really captivating
I love the color contrast

I really like this Diane! I love the colours and the amount of blur is just perfect.