abstract painting on a lake

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I really like the shapes captured on the surface of the lake and its textures. That is what drew me to the sconce. I also like the little reflection on the left lower side which creates depth and another different element. However the back part seems dark and not interesting and mainly adds space for the shape to breath but I don’t like the way it looks. I tried playing around in post with it but wasn’t sure how to get about it.

Creative direction

I am not sure but I know the shape is the main feature as that what created a sense of peace and getting lost in the moment.

Specific Feedback

All feedback welcome.

Technical Details

it was captured with a sony a7c mirorless 70-200 lens, 177mm, iso 80, f/11 1/20 shutter. I have played a little with the exposure and colors of the image in lightroom (attached screenshots) and took out some shrubs in the front in post processing.

Description

This is small lake in Israel that I spent a whole morning in as I was just mesmerized by these shapes in the water that looked like abstract paintings. there were many different constellations of them but this one seemed the most powerful.

Kind of cool, but I think you need to get closer! Eliminate anything that is recognizable and go for it.

I think you need to either move closer or move farther. The ‘abstract’ part dominates but it’s not really an abstract. Personally I would have included more above and below to provide context to the floating mass.

Hi Tamar - That’s my kind of scene! A calm body of water with nice reflections and some good surface scum - nothing better. :wink:

The shapes that the algae(?) is making are lovely, with all those curvy lines. It is very calming. Kris and Igor hit on the issues, though, in that this isn’t quite abstract enough for a true abstract nor a big enough scene to show the algae as a fully abstract shape in the lake.

If your aim was to show the entire blob as an abstract shape, it would have been better to include more of the scene, especially more water around the shape. That maybe wasn’t possible, though (looks like it is pretty close to the far shore there). As it is, the shape takes up too much of the frame area and we can’t tell how abstract it is.

If your aim was to abstract the blob out of the scene, getting in closer, as Kris said, is the way to go. Here are a couple examples I cropped out of your photo just to illustrate the idea. This is a tough scene to do that in the field, though, unless you can get up high and look down on it. Because of your angle of vision (head height) it’s hard to pick out the interesting openings in the blob because you’re seeing it at such a low angle.

1 Like