Reflecting trees

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I have just started shooting intimate landscapes using the long lens. I love the reflection of the trees and the shapes in the water constructed around them. I also like how some of the reflection is more abstract and some is less. However I had to crop a little to get rid of interfering branches and I am not sure the resulting composition still works. I am also not sure if the colors are vivid enough and if there is enough light in the picture.

Creative direction

I was aiming for an impressionistic image, focusing on the shapes and colors and the almost abstract combination it created.

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic and technical - Does the composition work? Do you find the picture pleasing? Do the colors and light work?

Technical Details

Sony a7c, 70-200 lens, 100mm, f90 1/30 second iso 80.

Description

Spending time in a small lake close to my house early in the morning I was mesmerized by the reflections and how much it reminded me impressionistic paintings. So I tried different combinations, playing around trying to capture the magic.

Hello Tamar, you have the right idea, which is to play, try things, and experiment, especially when creating abstracts. This image is on the right track, but is a bit flat. For images like this, I use software called Radiant Photo (radiantphotolabs.com), which is an AI based package. It does what AI does, reads what’s there and intelligently corrects the scene, after which you can further correct the image. It’s a really good first step in processing images in general, but excels on flat and dull images quite well.
Keep playing and experimenting!