Linear reflection

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was intrigued by the line of leaves floating in a calm lake that was a sharp contrast to the reflection of the underbrush. I like the mystery of it, but think it may lack sufficient punch and/or focus to fully convey the message I was after.

Technical Details

Fuji XT 2: 1/20, iso 800, f8, 128 mm

The first thing I’m going to say is that its a compliment to your instincts to see something like this and try to work it into a photograph. Most times I try things like this, they don’t quite work but I learn a lot in the process and then, occasionally, they really pay off.

This is almost paying off but it’s not quite working for me. One thing that I don’t really like is the magenta blue of the tree trunk, which I’d be very tempted to desaturate and add a tiny amount of green/blue to neutralise the colour.

I also had a little play and turned it upside down and it seems to work a lot better for me but that’s a personal taste thing maybe.

A great attempt at something original and something like this is more likely to catch a judges eye than another ‘perfect’ clone of an icon…

Tim:

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Regards,

Jim Dolan