Acadia Fog

I went to Schoodic Point in Acadia National Park for sunrise, and encountered these conditions. About 15 minutes after sunrise, it was sunny but with a thin veil of low fog hanging just above the water. The fog was trapped by a small U-shaped bay protected from the wind, but there was no fog over the open ocean to my far right. It was near low tide, and there was an interesting mix of dark and light colored rocks along the shoreline. The fog was thin enough to let the sunlight hit the granite rocks, which created a nice contrast against the fog.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any critique or comment is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, 106mm, ISO 100, 1/4 sec at f 16

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

My kind of image, Ed. I like the fog and the sense of mystery it adds. Fascinating little scene. No suggestions here.

Ed, this is really wonderful! The mood, light, contrast and details keep the viewer very engaged. A favorite of mine from your recent trip! Only because I am really trying to I offer something, the LRC shadows may be a little dark, this is a nit and they may be appropriate but I wanted to point it out.

Real nice, Ed. I like the layers of strata and the fog. My only nit is very dark shadows in the foregrounds rocks on each side. Nicely composed, sir!
-P

This image brings in my mind an image of a fort on a cliff next to the ocean. The vertical drops look like that of the walls and I really like how it is accentuated by the sun light. As far as the dark corners are concerned, they are not big issues for me although having them a little lighter would be nice. The fog adds so much to the image that I don’t think it will work as well without it.

Very engaging image, Ed. The high contrast warm colors fading into a cooler lower contrast background provides great visual interest. Processing looks good but as was suggested I might open up the deep shadows a bit in the bottom left and right corners.

@Harley_Goldman @Preston_Birdwell @Alan_Kreyger @Adhika_Lie @Dave_Dillemuth

Thanks for the comments folks, I agree with the comments about the dark rocks, and will address it.

This is wonderful Ed! Just about a perfect combination of light and fog - with the entirety of the rugged coast tying it all together. I especially like the perceived depth you’ve managed with the fog obscuring a bit of the coast deep in to the frame - like the scene goes on forever.

Other than the already mentioned shadow detail (mostly LR) I have no nits or other suggestions.

Sure getting a sense of the wonderful and productive time you had there at Acadia.

Lon

Wow! I love this kind of light Ed. I have seen many a morning like this in Boothbay, ME. I think a couple of people mentioned the dark shadows but other than that, this is wonderful.