Flowing Fog

A sunset image from Acadia NP in Maine. I was in the Schoodic peninsula section of the park, shooting west towards Bar Harbor. About 30 minutes before sunset, fog started moving in along the islands in Frenchmans Bay. There was some wind and it created movement and sinuous shapes in the fog that reminded me of a flowing liquid, or waves. I do a lot of fog photography, but I have never seen fog that had such dynamic energy to it. The fog was moving so quickly that it almost seemed alive. Facing west, the back light from the low sun added a golden glow to the fog as well.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MK4, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens + 1.4X teleconverter. ISO 100, 1/20 sec at f16

3 Likes

This is quite a site, Ed. The fog is cool, but the sunlight shining through really adds a punch. Great image.

Fantastic image Ed, The Golden light on the bleu shadows looks great as does the form of the clouds.

Ed,
I see you are still carrying around that fog machine with you on your travels. :laughing: Just kidding of course. This is quite lovely with those graceful undulating waves of fog as they glide effortlessly through the scene, particularly those ones in the sky. The warm back light is also a nice touch and gives a little separation between the two banks of fog. This has a nice upbeat feel to it that I find inviting. Absolutely no suggestions from me.

Wow! That’s so amazing! I really also love the way the clouds above are moving with the fog!

As a San Franciscan I see a lot of fog as well, but have never seen something quite like this. What a wonderful scene to behold.

1 Like

An amazing experience must that be , this kind of fog and that sky. I would love it to have such foggy weather .It happens not so many times here. But OK I have my heather . I enjoyed your image Ed.

@Ed_Lowe @Ben_van_der_Sande @David_Bostock @Vanessa_Hill @Nathan_Klein @DeanRoyer

Thank you all for kind comments, I’m glad that you enjoyed the image. There had been plentiful clouds in the sky all afternoon, and I was hoping for a colorful sunset. But as sunset got closer, the clouds essentially disappeared, and the fog started to move in to the west. But this was not a bad consolation prize, since the look of this fog was so unusual.

As previously noted in another post, I am a sucker for fog shots and this one is no different. it’s the smooth undulation of the mist as it flows over the trees that just sucks one into the scene.

1 Like

Cool looking clouds, Ed.

1 Like

Wow @Ed_McGuirk … we have all seen foggy trees images, but this is really different … the sense of movement, and this thin line of tree tops on top of the fog is breathtaking… The image has such an ethereal feel to it… it’s like you captured paradise. Kudos :clap:

1 Like