Acadia Sunset

It’s August 1st, and time for me to switch over from spring images to summer images, since I have a self imposed rule of posting seasonally appropriate images. And since I haven’t posted many shock & awe images recently, I thought I would throw out this sunset from Acadia National Park. To me this has some appeal beyond the eye candy sunset colors. The low lying mist and clouds were very dynamic on this evening, and I found them to be more interesting than the sunset color itself, which was just a side bonus.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 5DMkIII, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 100mm, ISO 100, 1/80sec at f11

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is really nice, Ed. The comp is top notch with all the layers. Colors are sweet also. I see a crop from the top to more of a pano as an alternate version. Not better, just different.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Beautiful scene, Ed. No suggestions here.

Very nice summer scene, Ed. Love all the layers and colors.

I also like the soft colors and the composition. Personal choice I might crop about half the dark cloud area off the top. But it works very well the way it is presented.

I like the alternating warm and cool layers in this image. The sun draws me into the scene, but the otherwise subtle tonalities make me linger to enjoy the broader scene.

This is really nice Ed. A very different take than I’m used to from Acadia. The colors and layers are great.

I agree with the others about a crop off the top, and if you want to maintain the same aspect ratio, you could take some from both sides and not lose much, IMO. Also, I highlighted a patch in the upper cloud that looks to be a slightly different color. I’m not sure if that is a processing artifact or is something that was in the scene.

@Brian_Schrayer @Shirley_Freeman @Harley_Goldman @Craig_Moreau @Michael_Lowe @Richard_Teller thank you all for your critiques and comments, i do appreciate them. I can see the merits of those suggesting a crop from the top. To me the original is more about the clouds, which was my original intent. The rework below with a crop is more about the sunset, and I think both versions work.

Craig, the spot you mention is in the original raw file, I think it is a lower lying cloud below the dark blue cloud above. I tried multiple ways to remove it, spot healing brush, cloning, even TK color clone, and strangely enough for a cloud, every attempt only made worse looking artifacts, so it’s here to stay.

This is so beautiful. Just love the quiet and peaceful feel this has. Nice work Ed.