Acorn Feast

What technical feedback would you like if any? I removed orphaned twigs on the left and right. Certainly the comp is not very artistic, but could it be?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/400 sec at f6.3, ISO 4000) slight crop for comp, DeNoise AI, Levels, rubber stamp tool for removing orphaned branches. Blue jay found a nice acorn and was trying to avoid other blue jays from stealing the prize.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Beautiful detail in the Jay and the perch, Jim. I like the basic comp and the background has a nice palette. If you added some blur in the background to subdue it or maybe a bit of fog (there must be a filter for that) I think this could be a really good image.

1 Like

I think you did an excellent job in processing. The plumage with respect to color, texture, and exposure is right on. I find the one crossing out of focus branch at the top of the tail to be a little distracting but it would take a lot of time to clone it away. Anyhow, this is where they live. This needs to be seen large.

1 Like

Lovely image. I really all the nice soft textured detail in the feathers. Very well done. BG colors also look good. I suggest you remove that one spider web extending out from branch towards bird. Everything else looks good to me.

1 Like

Nice look at the jay; seems happy to have the acorn. Comp wise, I could see cropping some off the left. I also wonder about darkening the crown to match the wings; it would make the crown stand out a bit more from the background. The fog effect Dennis mentioned can sometimes be achieved by using the dehaze slider in the Camera Raw Filter in PS.

1 Like