Blue Jay waiting for Lunch

Blue jays have always been my arch nemesis. They are cunning and always manage to stay one step ahead of me when the camera is out. I taped an oak branch to a bird feeder holder on our deck and waited. The pose can be better and wish that the jay was more parallel to the lens and extended from the perch. I do like the color of the oak leaves which goes well with the blues…Jim

D850, 600mm f4 (1/3200 sec at f8.0, ISO 6400) Topaz DeNoise AI, Levels, crop for comp, Brightness and Contrast.

3 Likes

I really like the composition. The leaves balance the blue jay and the background works well. The detail looks good; maybe a bit of sharpening around the eye. I’d consider removing the branch below the blue jay as it seems almost an extension of the bird.

1 Like

I agree with Allen’s comments with the exception of the small branch below the bird. Frankly, I didn’t notice it but my eye probably isn’t as sharp as Allen’s. I particularly like the browns of the leaves against the bird and the nice bg. Well done, Jim.

1 Like

Thank you @Allen_Brooks and @terryb for your comments and critiques. I don’t think that I will edit the stick out of the picture. Once these jays become accustomed to the perch, they will use it more and I will get a better shot for sure. I do like the lighting and hopefully the blue jays will take your recommendations and provide me with a more optimal pose…Jim

What a cool technique to get a natural environment at your feeder, Jim. I will have to try this myself.

I think the image is fine as is, and as you said, you should have plenty of opportunities to catch your arch nemesis. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your Eastern Jays are prettier than ours, and, I’m told, more polite! A very nice perch and I’m sure you’ll get lots of chances for different poses, but this one works for me, with a good head angle. The BG is lovely, with just the right amount of detail.

1 Like

I really like this one because of the setting. The contrast in colors, shapes, and textures between the leaves and the bird really makes this work. Well composed and balanced. One of my favorites that you posted recently. Very artistic!

1 Like

Like the fact how the oak leaves complement the colorful bird … a fantastic portrait!!

1 Like

Very good, JIm. Your self critique pretty much echoes what I was thinking when I looked at it. I think another 5 degrees on the head turn would have taken care of the pose, but it’s still an excellent image. The oak branch perch is superb.

1 Like