African Lion Family

During my recent South Africa trip, we enjoyed a couple of the better lion encounters I’ve ever had in the field. This was mainly due to the presence of curious and energetic cubs, which usually make up for their parents’ sedentary nature.

The second of these sessions came in the Kalahari, when we tracked down a large pride near a watering hole. The backlighting and dust made for a special experience as the cubs roamed and played with each other (though I found that my mirrorless body didn’t focus as well as my old pro DSLR, which my wife was using, in many of the peak action moments).

Canon R5
Canon 600mm f/4 III (EF)
ISO 400
1/1600th
f/5.6

Max

@maxwaughphoto
3 Likes

So incredibly cute, Max. Love the back lighting and composition with the mom in the URC slighting OOF. Nicely done.

1 Like

Great backlighting Max, and I love the overall colour pallett , pretty much “sandy lion”

1 Like

Awesome image, Max. Backlighting really makes it pop.

1 Like

Awesome image! Everything is perfect, the lighting, composition, spacing of the cubs walking towards you with mum in the background! Are they models?! :grin:

1 Like

Awwww… this is so cute :heavy_heart_exclamation:
Absolutely adorable :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Great feel good capture, Max! The cubs are incredibly cute and you framed the scene very nicely. Glad you kept the mother in the frame as it adds content and context. You ought to post this in this week’s challenge! The subject for the week is back-lighting.

1 Like