Lion and Cub

This seemed like an appropriate image for the challenge, since I recently finished reprocessing photos from my very first Africa trip. We were fortunate to see this mother and her two cubs a couple times during our visit to the Ngorongoro Crater. Here they were on the move before the sun crested the rim of the crater.

Canon 40D
Canon 500mm f/4 IS
ISO 500
1/500th
f/4
(2007)

Max

1 Like

Max, this is a great look at mother and cub. They are right in step with each other, with their front left paws in stride! Very nice image, and perfect for the WC.

1 Like

Wonderful photo Max. The mom does not seem nearly as interested as the cub. Great detail in the lions. Nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Great image here Max and perfect example for the WC. Nicely composed, soft lighting and pleasing background make this work. Love the cub’s look into the camera. Did you use the full 500mm for this?

1 Like

Beautiful photo Max. The cub’s gaze really draws me in. These lions look relatively well fed compared to the ones I had seen in the Ngorongoro in 2012. My wife and I were also supposed to go in 2007 as part of a trip that included Kenya, but we backed out because of the election-related violence in Kenya at the time.

1 Like

Max: I love the expression on the cub’s face. Made me smile. well done. >=))>

1 Like

This is a very nice parent/child photo and a good choice for the challenge, Max! I like the alert curiosity of the cub compared to the indifference of it’s mother. Colors and details are excellent in this one.

1 Like

Hi Max,

This image works for me. I like the soft lighting and poses of the lions. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Max, the gentleness of the light and the warm colors go together very well here. I’m also enjoying that the cub is looking at you, while mom is ignoring you.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! Jim, this is pretty close to full frame. A bit cropped off the sides, and that’s about it.

Max