After a Bath

I missed seeing this Mockingbird in the birdbath. Saw him perch up on the limb to dry out. I love his look.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5D III, 300 mm L with 2X teleconverter, on tripod, gimbal head, shot through the window. Manual settings except auto ISO. f8, 1/1000, ISO 320. Edited in LR, Topaz and NIK (to remove some of the yellowish color out of our dry grass in the background). We need rain!

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is really an excellent shot with superb detail perch, pose, and background. That said, I do think it would be even better if the bird had a little more contrast as this is basically one tone. You might add a tiny bit of sharpening to the beak which appears a hair soft. Well done especially in the large image.

1 Like

Shirley, I really like this image design. I think the wet look is very unique and gives a different look to the mockingbird. I agree with @David_Schoen about sharpening the bill. I will also add that removing the cyan cast on the bird might be beneficial.

1 Like

Hi Shirley, the wet look here is great and I love the eye of mockingbirds. Nice perch too to help show off this guy. A fine look at one of our common yard birds.

1 Like