Afternoon Heron

I was walking the dog again by the local park pond and spotted the Heron. I was trying for some still shots when it suddenly spooked. I was in one shot focus and not servo for tracking so this is just a lucky shot. The bird flew through shade and sun. The yellow water is afternoon sun reflecting.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything to improve. Should I crop a bit from the right side to decenter the bird a bit more?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 6dmk ii
ISO 800
F5
1/2500 shutter
Aperture Priority

1 Like

I like this a lot and would not change a thing.

Lovely light and the heron shows well against it. The detail in the heron is great. The composition looks fine as is. Nice capture.

Brian this is excellent, I wouldn’t change anything either. Perfect as is.

Take me out and beat me with a stick, but I disagree as to leaving as it is. I understand from the original where and how the light is, but there’s enough light to still recover a good bit of the color in this magnificent bird. I needed more detail in the shadows and more brightness in the tops of the wings. The only place I might have gotten a bit over zealous, is the detail on the face though with as much reflection as there is on the water, perhaps not so much.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I have a lot to learn. No big stick Chris. This just proves how subjective photography can be. Be safe everyone.

1 Like

With focus luck like that, you should go out and buy a lottery ticket!! You get a great shot with incredible water! I like the tonal adjustments @Chris_Calohan did. I might take a tiny bit off the right, both to decenter the bird a bit and remove the patch of brighter water in the LR, but not a big deal.

1 Like