Again and Again

hey everyone,

i’m sorry for posting the same old subjects over and over again. i have a terribly huge archive of south america (well, patagonia) images that are waiting to be processed and finished. i have yet to be able to go out and shoot again, so please bear with me and be patient :wink:

this one is from a quite well known location. it’s been about seven years since i first went there. since then i must have visited at least a few dozen times, struggling to find a balanced comp (and waiting for light). here’s a wide angle approach from a visit last year.

thanks for your feedback!
cheers

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

not sure about the comp and foreground. does it work for you guys?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
this is a blend of about 3-5 exposures for DOF, DR and movement of the plants in the foreground (patagonia equals wind). the mountains came out quite distorted from the wide angle (14mm?) - i used the adaptive wide angle filter in PS, perspective correction tools and some liquify to make them point straight up again.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

1 Like

The foreground and background work well for me. The one thing that strike me a bit off is the stream leaving the frame kind of midway out the right. For some reason, my mind wants it to exit lower down. I played with a bottom crop taking the image pano and like it but it is a tradeoff in composition that may not work for your vision of the scene.

Joerg,

Certainly no apologies necessary! I for one have never been, and will likely never to to Patagonia - or South America for that matter and so it’s always a pleasure to be able to view images and get just a hint of the experience from other members - So thank you and no apologies!

This is a beautiful landscape image. It’s amazing how striking the daunting mountain range is - yet so small in the frame. The pleasing foreground takes up more real estate, yet I find the composition to be very well balanced. Well, maybe the UR hillside is a little empty, but that’s minor for me.

Thanks for taking me there!

Lon

I would love to visit that part of the world, so love looking at images from there!

I love the distant peaks and the light in the distance, and the details of the foreground are great. I realize it wasn’t available here, but my only wish is for more balance; the foreground is so dominant in comparison to the distant hills. However, the river does tie them together nicely.

I echo Lon’s comments. There is something about he upper right that distracts me in some way I can’t quite explain. Maybe it is as Lon says a little empty, but still not sure.

I love seeing images from Patagonia, especially when the photographer tries different things with the composition like you did here with including more of the fg. I think it works really well here, it’s nicely balanced with the rocks. I like the post processing and colors in the scene. Minor nitpicking would be the slight blur in the grasses (but you mentioned the Patagonion winds) and the large straws at the left bottom sticking close to and through the frame. It might distract a little less with those 3 long straws gone, if you’re into that kind of manipulation.

Joerg,

I love the foreground, like I love it a lot. But I have to agree with others about the exit point of the river a little higher in the frame than I would expect. I am a little hesitant at first about the upslope on the UR corner but I have decided that I like it. It sets up the mountain quite nicely.

Hi Joerg. I would love to go where you took this shot. Great looking shot, but if the mountains are the center and focus I would love to see more of them. That would mean you would have to crop out the foreground and use that stream as a leading line. Too sweet of light to have it so far away. As it sits my eye keeps coming back to the foreground.

A very intriguing composition, Joerg. The contrast between the dark foreground and the brilliantly lit and coloured mountains is very striking. The stream leads your eye nicely towards those peaks and my only query is whether a slight crop from the R might help by reducing the slightly overpowering hill there. That’s a minor query - I like this a lot.