Aguaquet, Maine

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all, please. Both in capture and post production.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? I was handed a beautiful scene. How shall I improve my capture?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sony ILCE-6500 (crop) with 16-70 lens at 16mm. 1/6 at f/13, ISO 100. If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.!
2 Likes

I love this image in a large format. It looses its oomph on small screen.

Welcome back Matt,

A beautiful coastal seascape. The sliver of color along the horizon is key here given the pretty blank sky above and so good job keeping the amount of sky to a fair minimum.

And it’s the long line of clouds that are leaning me to suggest a crop off the bottom to a more pano format. I really like the small pools on top of the rock, but it might be worth considering cropping about half of the rest of the rock below pools. Although, there is a nice flow and lead-in from the details of the rock in the LR, up thru the image to the island and lighthouse.

Technically, there are a number of dust bunnies that get revealed in the super-sized view that you might want to take care of if you’re going to print this. The only other issue I wanted to mention is back in the sky. There’s an uneveness left of middle in the sky. The right half of the sky looks like where the sun may have gone down (or before rising?) and so the brighter sky would seem appropriate. But the sky get’s darker and browner, then lighter again towards the left side. I get the sky to far left would be darker with more color furthest away from where the sun is hiding, but it’s the brownish sky above/right of the lighthouse that I can’t figure out. And I also don’t have any suggestions on fixing.

Other than that sky issue, I think this is a strong composition and lovely seascape.

Lon

Thanks so much, Lon. I’ve had the same argument with myself about the crop. I’ll work on the image with your suggestions and re-
post.

Lon, waddaya think? I like the crop much better.

Thanks, again. Matt

2 Likes

Oooh, Nice! I like it much better. My question is though, how did you deal with the sky? It looks so much better too. Looks like you cropped from the top too, but the unevenness in the sky is much improved as well!

Thanks for taking the time to rework.

Lon

Matt, a classic Maine scene. Aguaquet must be somewhere on the California coast, this image looks more like Ogunquit to this New Englander :laughing:

I much prefer the re-work, it strengthens the image considerably. The water pools in the rocks are an interesting element, and the crop enhances their prominence in the image.

I too would be very interested to hear a description of the technique you used to correct the sky luminosity and color, you did an outstanding job of fixing the issues in the original image. The end result looks very natural. Overall this is a very pleasing image, nice work.

Thanks very much. Auto-correct and I are old enemies. This was, in fact in Ogunquit, Maine. Yet another old New Englander: my wife also “mentioned” this. See my reply to Lon with an explanation of how I fixed the sky.

Thanks, Lon. My Prior post-processing had a graduated filter down from the top stepping the highlights down a bit. But it left the uneven spot just R of the lighthouse. I took that filter out and painted down the exposure a half stop and the highlights down, I just made a super big brush and pained down the whole sky. Then I erased the lighthouse and island.

Thanks for the time and comments. Much appreciated.

1 Like