Pemaquid Point Light

It was raining when I left home in MD and it continued all day during the drive to Maine. During dinner the clouds started to dissipate a bit so I was hopeful that I would be able to capture a few images at Pemaquid Point Light that evening. I was hoping the clouds would explode with a little more warm color, but I am still relatively happy with the image.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if a

I did not notice the stone in the reflection of the keeper’s house until later. Looking back I am not sure if I could have done anything much different as I was already setup pretty low to the rock. Anyway, my question is does the rock sitting in the reflection kill the image for you. Thanks for your thoughts.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 22 mm, f 18 @ 0.8 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This turned out real nice. The stone does not bother me. I might clone out the tiny branch coming in on the left edge, but that is my only suggestion. Looks good to me.

Ed, this is an interesting view and perspective here. Is this rock bed a water bed or maybe glacial passage of sorts? Kind of reminds me of something that had ice carving thru this location. I do like this POV and the small reflection captured too. The rock is not any issue for me, I might do as Preston suggested and eliminate that tree reflection as a bit of eye draw there. Otherwise another fine image…:sunglasses:

Real beautiful, Ed. Strong foreground interest. The rock would be easily cloned with Content Aware but it does not bother me. Judging from the buildings it does seem to have a slight counter clockwise tilt. I also think the luminosity in the sky could be reduced a bit for better harmony.

Very cool. Could get a little more in to it with the dodge/burn but like it presented as is.

aF

The rock doesn’t bug me at all, because the lighthouse is the eye catcher. I actually had to go back to the image to see what you were referring to; I didn’t notice it when I first viewed the image.

I like it a lot. I go with John Williams: it is mainly because you mention it that I noticed the rock in the enlarged image. And yes, the image might be better without that rock.
I made an attempt to remove it, it needs some fine tuning. I copied a selection of the house, turned it upside down and rotated it a tiny bit before pasting it in the background image. A little darkening to bring the tones in the same part of the histogram as the reflection. You can decide for yourself if it is worth the effort.

Ed, I’m really enjoying your take on this iconic location. This is one of the better takes that I have seen from this spot. I like that you shot it at sunset instead of sunrise like many people do. Having the rocks in shade rather than than direct sunlight really helps to control the contrast. And I am not bothered at all by the rock.

I think the sky is too bright, and that you could recover more detail and color there. I also think the scene is too cool, and could be warmed up a little. I’ll admit the warm/cool balance is a matter of personal taste. I downloaded this to PS, created a layer copy, applied multiply blending mode to darken the sky, and then used a gradient on a mask to apply it primarily to the sky. Also warmed the scene up a bit. Ithink the warming helps the houses and rocks without hurting the sky.

Ed, this turned out very well. The rock in the puddle doesn’t bother me in the least. I’m thoroughly enjoying the low angle view as it creates a zoom effect with all of the strong leading lines in the foreground. The gentle colors in the sky are a fine extra in a view that’s mostly about the foreground and the reflection.

Ed, wonderful image. One of the great things about NPN is being able to see images from places we might not have the opportunity to see. I know the CA and Pacific coast is rugged and beautiful in its own right, but I love scenes and images from the New England area and coast.

I think this is beautiful as is, but the suggested tweaks might just step things up a notch. I’m indifferent about the rock in the reflection blocking the building. Not significant enough to change the impact of the image for me. And to that, I wish the people weren’t in there, but then again, doesn’t change the beauty and impact you’ve captured.

Lon

I like this image, Ed. The foreground lines add a lot of energy to the composition and direct my eyes to the middleground reflection and ultimately the lighthouse and beautiful color. I like the edit that Ed McGuirk made to bring out the color in the sky. I’m not bothered by the rock in the reflection as my eye is drawn primarily to the reflection of the main lighthouse.

As much as I like the sky I think there’s too much of it and it diminishes the image. The leading lines all take you to the house and the composition dissipates with all the space above it. Also, shrinking the top enlarges the width and the effect of the leading lines are enhanced. Here’s a suggested crop.

This is a really fine image. Both the texture and the colors is marvelous. Everything sings here, the lighthouse, the reflections, and now the sky.

1 Like

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to leave me a comment or suggestion. The little tweaks you have posted have made the image even better IMO. I will be sure to incorporate them when making my print.
Harley: Good point; I will be sure to clone that climb out.
Paul: I believe the high tide leaves behind these pools.
Dave: I had not noticed the sky being to light until you caught it. Good call.
Han: Thanks for taking the time to do the post and rotate the house in the reflection.
Ed: Darkening the sky and adding a little warmth to the image elevates it another notch.
Lon: I agree, I am always amazed with the superb work that is posted on NPN from so many different locations. I hear you on the people. I had already cloned out some people due to a wedding photo session and the sheer volume of people milling about.
Igor: Your crop works beautifully and still leaves the bulk of the clouds.

[quote=“Lon_Overacker, post:10, topic:2182”]
. One of the great things about NPN is being able to see images from places we might not have the opportunity to see. [/quote]

Lon, I couldn’t agree more. I enjoy seeing all of the images from California that our various NPN members post, because the only place in California that I have ever photographed is Redwoods NP. But I do plan on taking a Death Valley workshop with NPN owner David Kingham, and Jennifer Renwick in January. Conversely, the images that I post at NPN are all from New England, because I figure the heavily western USA based membership of NPN would rather see a wider variety of locations.

A wonderful and very “classical” image - nothing wrong with that!! The subtle warm to cool colors work really well.