Cape Henlopen Light

I wound up going with the pano format because a lot of the upper sky had scattered clouds and I thought the darker sky had much more mood. This was taken one evening after sunset in Cape Henlopen SP, DE.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Does the pano format work for you.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D700, Nikon 80-200 @ 80 mm, f 16 @ 13 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed, this is going to be one of my favorites of yours…:+1:
An extremely simple composition but the overall scene is wonderful. The small light-burst at the lighthouse to the tiny reflection of it in the FG is excellent. And yes, it is primarily about the mood, but the scene tells a small story about the weather conditions as well as the need for that lighthouse being there too…:sunglasses:

Ed, I agree with @Paul_Breitkreuz, this image is one of my favorites of yours, it’s simply outstanding. The beacon of light shining through the blue, gloomy twilight creates a tremendous impact on the viewer. I also love all of the different subtle tones of blue that you have in this image, they are marvelous.

This is a masterful example of “Less is More”. It’s a great illustration of how simplicity in an image can have a tremendous impact.

Print this large and hang it proudly !!!

I love this image: a beautiful minimalist landscape, a long exposure to make those dreamy waves, and a brilliant contrasting light. That little bit of cloud detail in the upper right hand corner is a nice touch. I also like the horizon being in the middle of the image. Yes, the panoramic format works. This is a favorite.

Beautiful, Ed. Simple and very moody. The blues really work well. Really good work!!

Ditto to all the previous praise. I don’t see anything I would want to change. But pointing out a couple of other details I think you have done extremely well: the jagged line of the breaking waves on the sand compared to the straight/flat line of the horizon; the lines of the sand, waves, water, and jetty all coming together on the left edge of the frame; the relatively flat and dark light in the clouds low and to the left transitioning to more light and detail up and to the right; and the blur in the foreground contrasted with the extreme sharpness of the starburst light and that end of the jetty.

Definitely print large and enjoy!

Ed, I can only echo the comments of the others. The simplicity and mood are very compelling! I really love this scene. Only one minor suggestion…print it!

Thanks so much for your kind words @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Ed_McGuirk, @Marc_McCann, @Harley_Goldman, @Rick_Alway and @Alan_Kreyger. I appreciate them. This is one of my favorites also; probably top 10.
@Rick_Alway : Thanks for taking the time to show what it would look like matted and framed.

Ed,

Just ditto on everything! Simple is just about always good and this is one beautiful example.

The only thing I could add is that I really like the tiny spot of light reflecting off the sand from the light house. Very cool. And the only suggestion I have would be to clone/address what looks like some ghosting artifacts. If you just consider the half of the image below the horizon and then move your eye to nearly dead center you can see what looks like something was in the frame for just a second or two, but not the entire 13. Not a biggie, but I’d clone that if you’re going to print.

Love this,

Lon

Thanks for the reply @Lon_Overacker; glad you enjoyed the image. I am not sure what is going on. I will have to revisit the image again and check that out. It looks like I forgot to do some noise reduction also.

Nicely done. Fascinating to see what such a small element can do in an image sometimes when properly developed.