Light on the Seven Sisters

Happy New Year everyone!

One of my new year’s resolutions is to slow down with my photography and let images sit a while longer before editing them. I’ve been doing this for a couple of months now and i’m seeing much better results in my editing. I took this on a very stormy afternoon in the South Downs National Park in United Kingdom, my all time favourite place to go.

I think that i’ve got the image pretty much to how i want it to look, but i’m still a tad bit unsure about it and can’t quite see what it is. I’d love some feedback please. Pick it apart, tell it to me straight, what works for you and what doesn’t.

Thanks in advance!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Colour Palette mainly

Any pertinent technical details:

Sony A7Rii
1/200
ISO 250
F8

Focal Length unkown as using Commlite adapter, aprox. 80mm.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Miguel, I really like this sharp composition, it is clean and simple. The main issue I have is the lack of detail in stormy sky (not sure anything can be done with it) It may also be the sky color contributes to the heavy feeling of the upper part of the image. However, the longer I look at the image I am not sure I would change anything. This storm competes with such a strong subject (the cliffs) that it tells an interesting story about nature. Well done!

1 Like

This has an almost “ethereal” feel to it. I’m not bothered by the sky, and in fact I think it works well with the beach in the foreground. We get lots of featureless early morning (and late evening) skies like that, and in my mind they serve to nicely frame the brightly lit cliffs.

1 Like

Happy New Year, Miguel!

I like the image a lot. Great light on the cliffs, the dark sky is very impressive. The lack of detail in the sky is characteristic for this type of weather and intensifies the light on the cliffs. The colours are muted, as they should be.
I might be tempted to remove the houses near the left edge, as I feel that they are a bit distracting. I made a swift attempt to do so. But I can imagine that if this is your favourite place to go, you are reluctant to do so.

1 Like

Miguel, Thanks for posting this wonderful photo. The deep blue of the sky suggests the weather and puts my eyes right to the cliffs. Question: What is the light source on the cliffs?

1 Like

Maybe raise the sky exposure just enough to give more separation but not lose the drama. Even some of the black sand can be tweaked. Add frame to punctuate darkness.

1 Like

Thanks Alan. The skies were quite plain and lacking texture at this point so there’s not much i can change. I thought i’d keep the blue hues on the sky to oppose the warm colours on the cliffs. Thanks for the critique!

Thanks Hank, it does go well with the sunlight cliffs. I do like dark stormy skies behind sunlit subjects a lot!

Thanks Han, i haven’t actually thought about removing the houses, but as there is sea salt ‘mist’ there anyway i guess i can make it look like the houses are blocked out by it by enhancing the haze.

Thanks Matt. It’s just beams of sunlight coming through the gaps in the clouds. Love it when that sort of light happens.

Thanks Igor, good idea about the frame! The black stuff is actually white limestone rocks covered in this black algae which looks quite ugly, so i darkened the area so there’s so bits of highlights and therefore simplyfying it.

Glad youve been letting the images marinate for a while. Started that a while back and takes the emotional connection down a notch so we can analyze the image more objectively. Love the shot and unique light here. Could see this being a dramatic bw too. Might check my levels and bring up the white point just a tad. Good shot.

aF

Exactly, you’ve put it into better words! I haven’t tried a black and white edit yet but it might well look stunning!

1 Like

Miguel, I love the bold, dramatic feeling in this image. The light is gorgeous and your processing is spot on. I really like the alternating bands of dark and light tonalities as your eye moves through the scene, very nicely composed. I agree with taking the houses out of the image, but only because they are bright and near the edge of the frame. Give B&W a shot here too, I think is one of those images that would be strong in either color or B&W.

1 Like

Miguel,

These are the conditions that create such beautiful and dramatic light. The light we all hope for, but know it doesn’t happen very often.

My only thought would be to crop a bit of the sky. A few comments about the lack of details, although the darkness is really the asset here. The long line of the bluff top and sand make for a nice pano format anyway. Just a thought.

I suppose you could add some warmth to the light on the cliffs, but that’s totally subjective and personal.

Lon

1 Like

Thank you Ed, i’m glad that my editing is becoming tasteful. Yes i’m starting to agree with removing the houses a lot more now, they don’t really add anything to the scene.

Thanks Lon,

I’ve never thought about cropping it to a panoramic format. Looks like it will work quite nicely!