View from Cape Point

Another image from my trip to South Africa. It is a beautiful and very diverse country.

This image is from Cape Point Lighthouse at Cape Horn. Unfortunately the shy was all blue, but there was a bit of haze to give it a bit of interest.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Not much post processing on this image. A minor crop, with adjustment to exposure and contrast. I used Topaz Studio for sharpening.

D850, ISO 100, 24-70 at 68, f11, 1/160 sec

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

To my eye, you’ve included too much. What interests me is the sequence of overlapping headlands heading off to the right. I’d crop it down to emphasize that.
83829878b17fce12a86b9e16e41a270144f0e63c-2|690x499

The blues look very nice in this scene, Steve. My only suggestion would be a crop of about 1/2 of the sky and water to place more of an emphasis on the interesting shapes of the receding ridgelines of the landmass. Nicely done.

Thank you Rick and Ed! I agree with you about cropping out much of the sky and water. Here’s another version.

2 Likes

Steve, I am really enjoying the hazy blue tones in this image. Your rework with the panoramic crop is a much more effective presentation, it’s the hazy mountains that make this image, not the water. nicely done.

Steve, I really like all the blue tones and the ridges fading into the distance. Your pano crop fits the scene very well.

I agree with the cropping. The mountains are the key here…and they are stunning. The mountain layers are wonderful. Each one has a different shape and fades into the distance, and the overall quality of light is great. I don’t think the blue sky is a drawback. It provides a plain but complementary backdrop for the subject which is, of course, the mountains. A colorful or cloud-populated sky would compete for your attention.

Very nice shot the blue tones and layers are excellent. I Definitely like the pano version better.

Steve,

The crop was what I was thinking as well. I like the gradient of blue in the sky, so maybe not crop as much, but certainly a lot of ocean that is not adding much. I like the pano format that helps accentuate the length of the land masses. Also, the sea mist works, despite making things more hazy, but this is expected often times on the coast.

Thanks for sharing and letting us experience a different part of the world.

Lon

Steve : I would probably echo others in thinking maybe the second version is that much stronger - but nothing takes away from the beautifully rendered layers of rock in the mid distance.

Hey Steve! You’ve been traveling; that’s awesome.

I too prefer the crop for the reasons stated above.