Cloudy Nubble Light

Another from our recent trip to Nubble Light. It had rained continuously the day before so there was still a lot of cloud cover left at sunrise the following morning. I was hoping for a break in the clouds along the horizon to catch a little warm color in the clouds, but I am not to disappointed as I do like the blue tones and textures in the sky along with the details in the wave action. I did crop a little from the top and bottom of the image.

As always thanks for stopping by and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 24 mm, f 16 @ 1.3 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Ed, looks like a twofer + one here for me. The main scene as is and cropped in the center with upper and lower images too. Wonderful stuff overall. Some perfect weather on display for this moody view also… :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I love the wonderfully moody sky and wave action Ed. I am on the fence about the dark rock in the foreground. My eye keeps getting draw back to it. Not sure if lightening a touch would make it less of an eye magnet.

Ed, I ditto @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Eva_McDermott. The motion and smoothness in the water are also key assets of the image. The small cascade in the foreground leads the eye right to the red glow of the lighthouse. Wonderful image.

Hi @Ed_Lowe, really good shot. I love composition, there is very interesting foreground, i like the leading lines formed by the sea, i also like the cold tones of the image. Thansk for sharing.

I really like the comp and mood, but the heavy blue tones aren’t really working for me here, very much a personal preference thing. I seem to be out on my own with that one.

I find the composition to be solid with a strong design within the frame. The overall light seems a bit flat but the lighthouse light helps a great deal. The house is lovely, making you dream of how it would be living there on your own. I might try raising the exposure of the lower and mid tones while maintaining the contrast. Here’s what I mean:

I also noticed that there is a greenish tint to your blue. That’s fine actually because colors are so subjective.

1 Like

Thanks everyone @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Eva_McDermott, @Larry_Greenbaum, @masdamb, @Harley_Goldman and @Igor_Doncov for your comments and suggestions; always appreciated.
@Paul_Breitkreuz: I had not noticed the twofer until you pointed it out. I have a few images with just the rocks and some waves which I have not worked on yet.
@Eva_McDermott: I will lighten the FG rocks just a bit to see how that looks.
@Harley_Goldman: I suspected the blue might be to much for some people; you should see the original as it is quite blue. I think I removed about 15 points of cyan.
@Igor_Doncov: Thanks for taking the time to do a rework as that gives me another option. It looks good.

Great shot, Ed. Comp is excellent with the large triangular rock in the fg, framed by the water channel and the rock on the right, all directing the eye to the lit lighthouse. I tried a B&W, and a levels adj since the scene is so monotone. Well done.

1 Like

Good job with this comp and image Ed. I immediately think of the story it tells and WHY there is lighthouse to being with! :slight_smile: I think though without the notion of the story, I would tend lean towards Paul and think of this as a two-image scene.

I think what Igor did was the ticket. Just enough change in luminosity and tweaks to really make the image come better alive.

Interesting with Michael’s b&w rendition. I’d say yes with a little classic sepia toning and this image tells an even better story of the sea, nostalgia and history.

Lon

Nice image. The light seems kind of flat. I feel maybe some dodging could help bring out the details in this shot a little more to add to the shot. This might be super stupid but just my personal taste… on the left edge of the frame the land is cut off and on the right it’s not. Maybe cropping some of the right off to help center the lighthouse?

Why of course, it exists to put Christmas Lights on it in December !!!