Nubble Light in B&W

I hope everyone is not tired of Nubble Light images as I do have a couple more. The color version was just not working for me so I decided to convert the image to B&W. I composed the scene with not a lot of sky as the clouds were pretty much non existent the further you got above the horizon. I did add a little canvas so the lighthouse was not as cramped.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 24 mm, f 13 @ 1/13 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Looking at the previous color posts of this spot, I think I prefer the color. That said, this one has a lot to like as well. I took certain liberties with it (a few gradient masks and adjustments, a CCW rotation, all quick and dirty). As I like to say, food for thought…

Taking a look after posting, I would also select the lighthouse and do some dodging to make it stand out and pop.

Ed, I was going to suggest increasing the contrast, but it seems that Harley beat me to it… :grin: This look good (and very “classic”) in B&W.

Ed, This lichthouse you cannot miss when at sea. Your image shows a majestic building at the right place in the composition. And powerful !!

Ed, you made some lemonade with all your shots from the trip. We had some great wave action, didn’t we? One of these days we’ll get lucky and it will all come together - waves, tide and color. I usually agree with @Harley_Goldman comments, but I think his version is a little too dark. Also I think it’s an optical illusion that the image needs ccw rotation. I think it’s caused by the roiling water in front of the island. If you look at the water along the rocks to the left and the distant horizon line to the right, they look level to me.

Hi Ed,
I like this image quite a lot. I think it looks great in Black and White. The leading line is strong and the lighthouse is positioned well. I do feel it’s a little tight at the top, but you explained your reason for that. The only thing I might try is a vertical crop. I think that would strengthen the flow through the photograph. Otherwise, well done, sir.

Ed,

I think you’ve got a really strong comp here and the b&w works well. Interesting though my impressions viewing both yours and Harley’s. One of my first thoughts on this one (and actually your previous color post,) was that this might work well with some sepia toning - even if just a little. That would give it a little historical and/or archival time piece kinda image. If that makes any sense at all.

But to Harley’s, the impression becomes one of drama and more of the angry sea and a hint of life on a rocky island as a lighthouse keeper. No sepia toning needed here. I like the drama created by the darker and more contrasty sky. And yup, bump up the lightness of the lighthouse and building.

That extra space you added up top I’m pretty sure was a good call.

Lon

Hi @Ed_Lowe, fanstastic shot. I like the Harley rework. I think the building is not separated enough from the sky, Darkening the sky you can give more impact at the shot. The FG is great, i really love it. Thanks for sharing.

Ed, I generally like the stronger contrast in the rework by @Harley_Goldman. I think Harley’s rework helps the sky a lot, but to my taste I would slightly tweak his rework to slightly dodge the buildings and rocks on the island.

I do think you made good creative use of the foreground rocks and waves. I love having that much of the channel in the rocks, and obviously you had the patience to time that wave just right. I also like the texture of the waves in the water between the shore and the island, it looks pretty neat.

Many thanks everyone @Harley_Goldman, @Mark_Seaver, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Michael_Lowe, @Michael_Handley, @Lon_Overacker, @masdamb and @Ed_McGuirk for for taking a look and leaving C&C; always appreciated. I did add a little contrast and darkened the sky for a little more drama. I left the FG rocks pretty much as is other than a little increase in contrast. I also did a .5 degree of CCW rotation per @Harley_Goldman’s suggestion. Hopefully this is more in line with your suggestions.
@Michael_Handley: I do have a couple of verticals with some wave action that I will probably post next.

1 Like

I may have to try and tweak the sky a little more.

I really like the black and white treatment. The distractions from the color version hurt the image and this solves all of that. Like the more contrasty version better.

I think I prefer this to the previous one. The other one had a strong composition but this one is at least equal to it and is emotionally more powerful. I like the original image. There’s enough emotion without exaggerating it to the point of a scene from a horror movie. Unless you want that Hitchcock Psycho look (or even Wuthering Heights).

Thanks guys @Keith_Bauer and @Igor_Doncov for taking the time to leave a thought; always appreciated. This particular image is one of my favorites from the trip.