Just Before Dawn

No snow yet here in MD. :cry: So on a whim Mike and I decided to make a seven hour drive to ME to spend three days shooting Nubble Light. The days picked coincided with high tide to hopefully catch some nice wave action. As an added bonus it was supposed to snow 1-3 inches, but alas that did not happen and it just rained instead. Anyway so much for best laid plans as were got skunked most of the time with heavy clouds in the morning and bluebird skies in the evening. There was one night that we planned on shooting the MW because the moonrise was after sunrise, but as luck would have it it rained.

We did come away with a couple of keepers though and here is one of them. As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 17 mm, f 2.8 @ 10 sec, ISO 1600, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Ed,
I can relate to less than normal conditions in the northeast this year. I made a trip to Acadia in February hoping for snow and sunrises, but making due with rain, ice storms, wave action and intimate scenes. This image is a nice example of making lemonade, in particular the foreground rocks and light are wonderful.
Two nits that may fall into the personal preference category, the lighthouse reflection is a bit hot for my taste and I despise power wires in my scenes, I might try removing them and the poles.

I look forward to seeing more of your keepers!

1 Like

I agree with Alan, red reflections are to hot and power lines and poles should be removed. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like you made the best of the conditions you were handed. Overall, the colors are lovely here, but I agree that the reflection of the light on the water and rocks is rather saturated (maybe the reds are even blown out). The light on the rocks, though, is a great touch. As far as the power lines, I’m good with them, as they tell more of a story. I can picture the lighthouse keeper out there all by themselves, only connected to the rest of the world by the thin telephone lines.

1 Like

@Alan_Kreyger’s comments aside (which I agree), I love the foreground, Ed. I think the rock and the wave sets off the BG really nicely.

Any trip that results in at least one keeper is a very successful trip!

I like the dark blueish tones of the water and rocks. They go well together with the pink horizon light and the lighthouse light. I do agree that the lighthouse lights in the fg are too saturated for my taste, and the powerlines that I would remove too. I like the little dark cloud above the lighthouse, it really adds something to the sky!

Wonderful shot, Ed. I didn’t get anything this good. Great comp with the FG rocks and light in the water leading the eye to the lighthouse. The light on the horizon is exquisite and great light on the rocks. Those two little clouds are neat. The light in the water is a touch too strong but not a shot killer. I disagree with the others about the power lines and poles. I like them. It tells a story about the light being seperated from the mainland on a little nub of rock.

A really nice composition Ed, I like the arrangement of the rocks with the strong diagonal line. I love the little cloud above the lighthouse, it’s a nice touch. I also love the magenta glow at the horizon too. The processing looks good to me, other than the strong red saturation on the rocks which others have already mentioned. Maybe some day either a hurricane or the Photoshop Clone tool will take out those power lines :laughing:

Did you also happen to make it to the other location we discussed last August?

My thoughts echo the above Ed. The composition and lighting work very well, but I agree the saturation could be dropped in those reds. Power lines and contrails are always fair game for the clone tool IMHO.

Lovely composition, Ed, but I’m in agreement about the intensity of the red/violet saturation. That said, I LOVE the way the color is reflected on the rocks. I also agree with those who want the lines/poles evicted.

Ed, I love the scene and the combination of cool and warm colors. I think many of us already shared their thoughts about the saturation of the red light of the lighthouse.
Contrary to @Bonnie_Lampley and @Bill_Chambers, I less like the reflections on the wet rocks and might even be tempted to clone them out. They somehow seem unnatural to me. I think I would only keep the reflection of the beam in the water.

The power lines don’t bother me at all Ed but I do agree with the others about the intensity of the reds. I do like your comp as well as the silky water.

Ed, this is a fine lighthouse view. The wave action in the foreground and the reflection of the light work very well at bringing this view to life. I too think that the red saturation is too much.

Dang, missed this one. Killer Ed!