Alabama Hills and Whitney Crest, Diaz Lake

Image: Alabama Hills and Whitney Crest, Diaz Lake

Description: Well this one doesn’t quite follow the rules of reflection only, but I think the bunch of reeds kind of makes the image work. On one of my Eastern Sierra trips I was studying a map and noticed Diaz Lake south of Lone Pine. It is typically surrounded by campers and fishermen, but you don’t have to include them if you shoot only the water. Other than Owens Lake, which is not up against the Sierra, I had never been able to find a lake which reflected the famous skyline, but Diaz at first light presented a nice opportunity.

Specific Feedback Requested: There is a temptation to over-edit reflections if the colors and contrast don’t pop. Perhaps I’m guilty of that here, but I love the photo because I had a hunch and it turned out to be right! Also, this reflection is very nearly an abstract – you wouldn’t know where it is without the title. That may defeat the purpose of shooting a famous reflection. Thanks fellow shooters!

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 1/250th, F6.3, ISO200 handheld.

I like this a lot, James. I love the contrast you gave this image and I don’t think it’s over the top. I especially like how the golden water makes a V for the reflection to perfectly fit in. The tall piece of grass is an added bonus that helps to make this photo more special. I think you should be very proud of this one.

Thanks Donna – made my day.
What is your location? I’m in southern California, anticipating an awesome wildflower bloom for my photo outings the next three months!

Hi James, I live in Ithaca, NY. It’ll be a while before I’ll be enjoying spring, but I do enjoy winter photography. I’m happy I made you day. That’s a nice image.

I have always wanted to shoot an ice storm!

James, pushing the limits of interpretation is something that I’m often guilty of, so while there is something that’s not reflection, it’s small and adds well to the viewing. I’m especially enjoying how the changing ripple size blurs the grassy reflections but lets the distant peaks be recognizable. (BTW, the posting recommendations suggest 2000 px on the long axis, which helps to speed loading and helps control the costs of server storage.)

Thanks Mark. The good news is, both the lake and the mountains are still there, so this can be shot again.