The Pinnacles

Still from my backpacking trip during the labor day weekend… Isn’t this sort of an obligatory picture when you’ve got water this calm? Your feedback and critiques are always appreciated!

D750, 19mm, f/8, 2.5 sec, ISO 50

Rework: Brightened up the whole scene, brought up the highlights in the peak, added contrast to the foreground, finally reduced highlights on the ULC.

Continuous Improvement: I lifted the shadow areas on the tree-covered slope with a D3 mask as Dave suggested below. I like that change. Also worked on the contrast on the overall foreground a little more and I dialed back the overall brightening just a little. All of these are very subtle but I think very effective.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Adhika, absolutely this is obligatory! This is really a wonderful classic reflection of the Sierra ! I really like how you composed the boulders in the foreground and your handling of the colors, shadows and highlights is spot on for my taste. Very nice work , wish I was there !

I like the scene but this one is looking a bit dark and flat to my eye. I might brighten up the highlights on the peaks and lighten and increase contrast in the foreground. Nice classic reflection.

Lovely photo. I agree with Harley’s suggestions. I would also suggest darkening the patch of bright sky in the upper left corner.

I love the composition. Nice use of line to carry your eye deep into the image. i agree about the highlights and the foreground being a bit too dark.

Thanks @Alan_Kreyger, @Harley_Goldman, @Tony_Siciliano, @janine!

I have added a revision in the original post which addressed your comments. One feature that I really like from this forum is the ability to click back and forth the two versions. The thought that came to mind was that the original seems to better reflect the morning light/feeling but I also agree that it was a touch too dark. I do think taming the highlight on the ULC as @Tony_Siciliano suggested was a good idea. I also like the added contrast in the FG. I brought up the entire scene by 0.2 stop, probably I should dial that back. What do you think?

Beautiful, Adhika. Nicely balanced composition. Classic cloudless and still Sierra summer morning. Your colors look pretty natural to my eye. The rework is a definite improvement but I think both the reflections and the tree covered ridge on the left could be dodged up a bit further.
btw, I’ve probably photographed at this exact spot more than a dozen sunrises/sunsets myself over the last 25 years ; o )

1 Like

Thanks @Dave_Dillemuth! Very good suggestion about the shadows of the tree-covered ridge. I lifted up that area a little more and I really like what it did to the image. Very subtle but very effective.

This is only my second time here. The first time I came was in 2013 when I came to California for the first time for an internship. My friend suggested to come here and I am forever grateful for that recommendation. But that was before my photography day. After visiting a few areas in the Sierra, this is easily one of my favorites.

Adhika,

Oh, to be standing there. This brings the viewer right there. And despite the blank sky, I think you really nailed the color and luminosity there - and the amount of space allocated to the sky works very well here.

Agree with the others about the darkness and almost flatness of the scene below the peaks. I think you’re getting progressively closer, but still think there is room to keep going.

Have you considered a crop off the left? I think you could come in as far as the “v” between the treeline and left most rocky peak. Reducing some of that real estate might also help with the perception of darkness. Just a thought, plus the majority of interest in in the left half of the scene.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks, @Lon_Overacker! Indeed it was quite surreal to stand right under the pinnacles; can’t help but feel so small.

That’s a good idea about cropping, I would look into that. I did not crop this because it feels appropriate to go somewhat more panoramic with a reflection shot like this. But I think you are on to something here about the real estate on the left side. As for the contrast/brightness, it seems that adding more contrast somewhat goes against the low light feel to it but I could be wrong. I am on my way to the North right now, fingers crossed it will be a fruitful trip. I will look into this again when I come back.

Beautiful image and rework. I’m loving the light on the mountains but almost smitten with a combination of the trees and foreground of #2 & #3. I love the FG of #2 but with the opened shadows in the trees of #3.