Alien Beast

It was cold and just starting to rain as we arrived at Bryce Canyon. The crowds had died away and i was left to myself on the canyon edge when i saw it staring at me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Iso 100 16 mm f/8.0 1:400 sec

mosjo848
2 Likes

Nice shot and the wide angle lens gives some sense of place (Bryce) in the background. Excellent image all around.

1 Like

This image really grew on me after I downloaded it and saw it in a frame. I like it a lot. The well illuminated limbs give it a haunting look imo. I tried a different crop but am not sure it’s any better. Great job. The upper left quadrant is amazing. I would have explored that idea a bit.

2 Likes

John, this does look like some kind of alien creature reaching out to devour the viewer. The radial pattern of the limbs do look like tentacles. I like your processing here, darkening down the reds and oranges really makes the “creature” pop. The luminosity of the tree limbs creates a lot of drama. Nice vision on your part to see the potential in this tree

My suggested tweak would be darken the highlights in the background along he top edge. the brighter hoodoos in the top center, and the sky in the ULC. That’s a very minor nit though, overall I like this image very much.

1 Like

A very appropriate title. Very nice use of wide angle distortion to help tell your story.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the delay in my response. I did go back and darkened up the highlights as you suggested and it was a big improvement.