Alienscape Sunset

A trip to northern New Mexico treats a photographer with an other-worldly experience and endless opportunities. I’m not sure the foreground works well enough, but your opinions are requested.

D800e 24-70mm @36mm f7.1 1/125s iso160

IG: @alpine_imaging

Thanks for looking,
Wade

Very otherworldly for sure, Wade. The FG works just fine for me and I like the diagonals in the FG landscape. I only have two minor suggestions. I would clone out that spot of lighter colored stone about 1/3 of the way up along the left side. The other is more of a personal preference, but I would reduce the saturation just a little as the blues and yellows are a little much for me. Each photog is different and has different tastes. Anyway this is beautifully done.

1 Like

Wade,

I pretty much echo most all of Ed’s comments and suggestions. An alien landscape for sure. I think the foreground works quite nicely actually. That foreground formation is a nice entry point in to the scene.

One thing that does strike me is scale - or lack there of. That bottom formation could be something quite large in a grand landscape, making the bg formations even more formidable.

Love the blue/gold combo here too with those clouds being quite complimentary to the composition.

Have to agree on the overall saturation; especially the yellow and blues in the left half of the sky. What’s interesting is that the blue sky in the right half looks spot on (of course we know the light fall off relative to the sun plays with luminosity as well so I’m sure that explains the saturation fall off? But as Ed mentions, certainly well within personal preference.

Wonderful image and take away from this place.

Lon

1 Like

Is this from Bisti Wade? I’ve only visited once, but it is a magical location.

The drama of the formations is excellent, and I agree that the sky is a good backdrop. I like this as is, but wonder what crowding that foreground set of rocks with wider lens would look like; it would be an interesting comparison of perspective.

I’ll echo the thoughts on dropping the saturation a bit.

1 Like

I would echo the reduction of yellow saturation on the left side (the face of the cliff and the left rock). I might also burn in those bright areas depending on the results of the desaturation. I like the image overall. It’s unique and interesting. I can see why you were drawn to it.

1 Like