Upper Twin Sunset

As is sometimes the case, the sun had just set and I arrived a little late to the party to get some light on the peaks. There is just barely a little light there skipping across the tips. I settled on this composition, though a little more chaotic than I would prefer. I’m not sold on the rocks in the foreground, and wonder if a crop above them might improve the comp. C&C appreciated.

Thanks for looking,
Wade

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

D800e 24mm f7.1 1/125s iso400 handheld

Nice picture Wade. I am really new to the photography world, so I don’t feel qualified to give in CC. But I do like your picture. Looks like a great area.

2 Likes

Wade, I personally don’t care for “gratuitous” foregrounds. So, I much prefer the rocks cropped out. I like the light you caught.

1 Like

This is a real nice serene scene. I would be inclined to crop the fore rocks. To my eye, they seem to halt my entry into the image rather than pull me through.

1 Like

Hi Wade - This is a really pretty mountain scene. I like the fall colors along the shoreline, hints of snow, and golden clouds in the sky. I agree with Bill about the foreground. I think the simple, elegant composition with just the reflection works better than the scene with the rocks. If the foreground were all rocks in an interesting pattern, I think it could work. As is, it looks a little swampy and I think it distracts a bit from the beauty in the rest of the scene.

It also looks like you have some fringing on the upper trees and the peaks, which could be corrected in your processing software. Finally, I see a few tiny dots of snow among the hillside of trees. I usually clone out these little tiny details since they can be visually distracting since they are so much brighter than the surrounding trees.

1 Like

Wade,

Pretty much agree with the others. A beautiful mountain reflection landscape image. Complimentary sky/clouds and the stillness of the water is important in getting as much of the reflection as possible (given there’s a lot of other stuff in the water too - but not to the images detriment.)

I just think the foreground rocks don’t add enough interest. Perhaps if it was a aged, weathered old juniper stump or something… And a big plus in cropping out is the symmetry gained in the scene with the reflection. I think it works real well without the rocks and shore.

Lon

1 Like

I’m going to go against the grain (what a surprise) here a bit and suggest that the rocks at the bottom do add to the image. I came to that conclusion by downloading, cropping them off, and comparing to the original. What was offensive was the central blue rock. I burned it in and warmed it a tad. The results feel as though the rocks are more integrated with the rest of the scene.

1 Like