Tetons Reflections

Nikon D750 Nikon 24-120. ISO 100, F16, 1/13th

The reflections in the lake last fall were amazing. I generally do not like the horizon in the middle but I think it works here. You can look through the reflections in the foreground and see the bottom of the lake.

Does the crop work ?

The horizon in the middle work here ?

Comments and critiques please.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Andrew,

Very lovely reflection landscape image. The centered horizon? Perfectly appropriate IMHO, give the symmetry of everything and the reflection; one of those times where 50-50 works just fine.

Perhaps it’s just the light and conditions, but I’m kinda expecting the reflection to be slight darker, or at least have more contrast than the real upper part. If it were mine I would increase the contrast of the reflection. How much is really just personal preference; in fact, you may prefer as presented, but I’d darken/increase contrast a bit in the reflection. The glass-like surface is quite appealing for sure.

Lon

I agree about more contrast on the water, mostly because I think I see a hidden gem waiting there. I can just make out bottom details, and the added contrast would pop them up a little, allowing them to interact with the shapes of the reflected clouds. Exposing personal tastes, I love it when that can happen in the foreground of an image.

Added +81 contrast to the bottom. Good suggestion. Thanks

Lon,

Please review the repost. Darkened a bit with the lower half contrast boost.

Thanks for the support.

Andrew

Hank,

Please review the repost. Darkened a bit with the lower half contrast boost.

Thanks for the support.

Andrew

There ya go! An interesting experiment would be to test the effects of adding even more contrast or playing with the midtones and black in the reflected sky to further “draw” out the lake bottom. 'Twas me doing the experimenting, I’d go to extremes on the adjustment layer, then use the slider to adjust the fill up and down to test the effect and see if there’s something you like better. You can always toss the layer if it doesn’t work out.

1 Like

Andrew,

Amazing such little adjustments can make such a difference. Thanks for taking the time to rework and repost.

Lon

1 Like

Does the left part of the image add or subtract from the composition? Would a comp centered around the mountain be an improvement?

Nice improvement on the repost to a nice image. As to Igors question, I prefer it as presented rather than cropped.