Alien Creature (aka Locust Borer)

I’ve been messing around with sub-macro (2:1) photography, mostly with bugs that don’t like to sit still very long. I shoot everything handheld using focus peaking to determine when to file the shutter. The success rate is quite low, but I’m enjoying the challenge.

Specific Feedback Requested

One challenge of a single shot is the shallow DoF. Since focus stacking is usually not feasible, my main goal is to get the eyes in focus. After that I look for an interesting composition. This often means OOF objects in the foreground as seen here. I tried to darken the foreground a bit to make it less distracting. Does this foreground detract from this image? Is the shallow DoF too distracting.

Technical Details

I use a Nikon Z6 with a El-Nikkor 50 mm f/2.8N enlarger lens reversed with a 36mm extension tube to get to 2:1. This gives me a working distance of about 2". As a result, I use a Pringles can flash diffuser to focus light the subject. I typically shoot at f/11, 1/200s and ISO 400. I put flash in manual mode and experiment with some test shots.

1 Like

Hi Tom - this is a very cool image. That bug looks tiny and monstrous at the same time. A beetle you say. Nice. I’ve been thinking about adding extension tubes to my 1:1 macro lens to get a bit closer, too, but you’re right about the inherent limitations and challenges with moving subjects. Overall I think this works. I’d rather not have those big OOF flowers just in front of it, but there’s not a lot that can be done about that. Bugs just don’t listen! :grinning:

The main issue I see here is exposure. It needs more. It doesn’t have a “flashed” look and I like that very much, so I brought it into Photoshop to mess with it. You didn’t talk about what software you use, but here is the image when I was done and the layer stack -

I labeled the layers for some explanation. I use the TK8 Plug in for Photoshop and did everything using masking and actions in that tool. I hope you like it. Such an interesting critter. I have a huge ID book to Beetles of the Eastern US and should look this one up to see if it occurs where I live.

Thanks Kristen! I like what you did here! I typically use Lightroom and occasionally dabble in PS if needed. I am not familiar with the TK8 plugin. Will have to look into it.

Btw, here is the bug: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megacyllene_robiniae

I’m glad you think it’s a step in the right direction. Looks like the larvae are dependent on the black locust and that’s considered an invasive here in northern Wisconsin so probably why I haven’t seen one. And I thought that was goldenrod or something similar which is what the adults feed on.

A lot of what I did could have been approximated in Lightroom. The masking, while good, isn’t on a par with what Photoshop can do (especially with the TK8 Plug in) and vignetting is still limited to a circular or oval shape, but you can come close.

I’ve been busy the last couple of days and so have missed some of the postings here, including this fine image. I like what @Kris_Smith did to bring out this pretty fierce looking “monster”. I’m not familiar with the subject either, but you got right up into his face and captured some wonderful details in it. Great shot!

1 Like