Locust Borer

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 105mm f2.8 (1/125 sec at f16, ISO 200) Crop for Comp; Levels; Hue & Saturation -yellow,-blue,-aqua; High winds kept me from getting some exceptional shots. This beetle is one of our native longhorn beetles that infest black locust. In the fall, adults gather on Solidago where they feed on nectar and pollen and are a major pollinator of goldenrod. I used autofocus to capture one of these fast moving and skittish insects. With the wind, 3% of the images were acceptable.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Jim, this sure looks like an exceptional shot to me! I usually keep my camera on high speed and in Canon I use what is called AI Servo, which lets the camera constantly focus on the subject, and I use back button focus. When it is windy, I can get a few good shots, where as if I would be shooting one shot at a time, I may miss getting a shot. But to me, this is dead sharp, and the yellows on him and the flowers just compliment each other. Very nice shot.

Jim, I agree about most wasps being hard to shoot as they move quickly and constantly. This capture is outstanding with the coordinated colors in the wasp and the goldenrod. Well done.

1 Like

Wonderful photo image of this insect. The color bands on this subject is awesome. Everything came out great. The comp was also we;ll framed

1 Like

Jim: Really good capture and a testament to how our technology can make our job so much easier. Of course the gear doesn’t make the shot but in the hands of a master like yourself the results can be outstanding. Most excellent. >=))>

2 Likes