Reappearance of a friendly face

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A cute little green shield bug sits on some rocks in my front yard. It let me get very close with the tripod & macro lens & a little fill flash. Then it flew off across the yard into a stand of trees. Sweet little thing. The very next day I fished one out of the water while paddling the river.

Specific Feedback

Open to processing ideas.

Technical Details

Tripod & off-camera Godox flash w/Magmod silicone diffuser

Lr enhanced for sharpening and bit of nr and a touch of exposure. The usual S-curve for contrast. Boosted luminance in yellows and greens in the HSL panel. Added some texture & clarity. Cropped for better bug positioning.

Nice shot of the shield bug, Kris. I’m a bit surprised you didn’t stop down further since you had the flash to provide any needed light. Still, you got the important parts sharp. The processing looks fine to me.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank - yeah, I could have, but I’m not super quick with adjusting manual flash so I had this set up for something else when this guy flew in. But I am glad I got the important bits sharp. Quite the handsome little thing. We had so many of their nymphs around that I had a feeling we’d have lots of adults. The young ones are black and wingless and NEVER stop moving, so I don’t have any photos of them. Even video is hard because you have to chase them and then, they hide.

Kris, I like his pose. It’s like he saw you had the camera and he stopped, looked into the lens and let you get the shot. What a ham! Yes, what needs to be sharp certainly is. I have done the very same thing with my settings, got it where the exposure is right where I was shooting something else, and I am afraid I will miss the shot fiddling with the settings. Great job!

Cool! The DOF is fine – makes the “face” more prominent. (Do insects have faces?) Looks like it would sit and chat a bit. I don’t see anything more I would do except go look for the next interesting bug.

Looks good and the stinkbug’s head is sharp. More DOF is always good to have, but enough of the subject is in focus to hold the eye’s interest…Jim

Hi Kris, critical sharpness is where it needs to be. I like the rendition of green in this image - contrasts nicely with its surroundings.