Green Shield Bug

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Fished this little one out of the water and set it on this stick to dry well away from the river. Didn’t realize it only had one antenna left. I wonder if that will affect its ability to fly or feed, although being plant-eaters, maybe not. Poor little thing, but it might be ok. They move so much that I can’t usually photograph them so it’s good for it and me.

Specific Feedback

So the stick isn’t optimal, but it’s what I had to hand that wasn’t a canoe oar or something. Thoughts?

Technical Details

Handheld w/Godox flash in TTL mode, but turned down in power

Lr for adjustments to exposure, texture & clarity, tone curve, sharpening & nr. A bit of a crop. Ps for some distraction removal.

Great rescue shot, Kris. Love the expression on his face (definitely saying thank you) and the perspective you’ve gotten.

Nice angle to show off the unique shape! I think the perch is fine – too staged wouldn’t look right.

Are the tiny orange and brown spots the eyes and the bigger brown things just decorations to frighten the peasants?

Aww, Kris, you sound like me, rescuing the little ones. Poor thing. Hopefully he will be alright.

I like the angle and the perch is fine for me. The green bug against another shade of green and the various browns of the perch is a nice combination of colors. Excellent details where needed. Well done.

Hi Kris, interesting perspective and the green of the subject contrasts well with the perch. Nice of you to do the rescue.

Thanks @linda_mellor, @Shirley_Freeman, @Diane_Miller & @Allen_Sparks - glad the setting and perspective work. These guys are so boxy that they’re hard to get good angles of sometimes. I’m a sucker for flailing insects in water and routinely snag them if I’m in the kayak or on the dock. The front of the kayak makes for a good place to put them while they dry out.

OMG! LOL. The big brown things are their compound eyes, the small orange ones are simple eyes and probably can only see light and dark. They are VERY wary little dudes and so almost never sit still. Probably the eye sensitivity and placement help with predator avoidance - if that doesn’t work, the stink usually will.

1 Like

H Kris,

This is a fine look at a green stinker with jewel like simple eyes, it shows the undercarriage well and the fine detail is showing where it should in my view.
Quite amazing little bugs, the odor they emit is certainly unmistakable to those who have encountered them during that mode of defense.

Very effective composition and the colors are great! :slight_smile:

Thanks @Merv - their legs are so cool and I wish I could get a better look, but they don’t stay still long. They’re pretty neat critters so long as you don’t make them angry. Tiny and green, but Mr. McGee should still be wary!