Pale green assassin bug nymph

What is it with me and green bugs lately?

Though I’ve seen these tiny things a few times (less than 1 cm), I didn’t know they were nymphs until recently. As adults they have fully formed wings and are slightly larger. This one was on one of the sheds in the back and I went in for the macro and hoped it would stay still long enough for a shot or two. Because they’re so small, the details aren’t as wonderful as they would be with a larger bug, but I can live with it. This one was pretty much always on the move, scouting for tiny flies or maybe springtails to eat. I believe the folded appendage under the head is what’s used to stab and/or capture prey. I think it unfolds.

They really are this bright and colorful - red eyes just visible without magnification. The antennae move constantly even when the bug itself isn’t.

Specific Feedback Requested

I cleaned away a few bits of OOF debris on the shed roof, but not all of them. Should I have?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
P/L 45mm f/2.8 macro
f/4.5 | 1/100 sec. | ISO 200
Handheld w/ edge of the rectangular lens hood on the shed lid.

Lr processed for a crop, w&b points, clarity & sharpness. Ps to remove some OOF crud.

@the.wire.smith

Excellent position for the bug in this image. I like the textures of its perch. Really good job of the depth of field.

Kris, the green bug really stand out against the blue roof. The details in the bug are excellent.

Thanks guys. I have more misses than hits, but patience paid off. Maybe someday I’ll catch an adult.