Green metallic sweat bee

In keeping with my critter-focused take on this week’s theme here’s a female augochlora judging by the sharp inner orbital margin. I think she was resting, but it was a cold day so it could have been the end for her. I found a dead bumblebee just a few feet away from her, so it was that time of year.

This gorgeous wee thing is maybe 1 cm long. She was moving and the flower was shifting in the breeze so it took some time to get this, but I’m so glad I did. These non-hive bees are mostly solitary, but I’ve seen several of them using an old stump in my yard to make the nests they lay their eggs in. While they shared the stump, they didn’t share nests. They are important pollinators for native plants.

Specific Feedback Requested

Nothing specific, but let it fly.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Leica DG 45mm f/2.8 macro
f/3.2 | 1/200 sec.| ISO 500
Handheld

Lr processed for white balance, contrast & exposure. Local adjustment brush on bee’s face to lighten it a tiny bit. Overall sharpening & a crop.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

She is a beautiful color. Good entry.

Kris, wonderful details in this beautiful Sweat Bee. I know what you mean trying to capture a sharp image of the bee with it moving, and the flower they are on waving in a breeze, and then of course, if HH, we are moving. Good thing we shoot digital, and can see if we succeeded before we call it a photo shoot. You did well here with this shot.

Kris, a great photo. The colour of the bee is amazing.

Thanks @Harley_Goldman, @Shirley_Freeman & @anthony4 - she was a beauty. I love the tiny bees but they are so hard to focus on.

1 Like