Pique

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I wasn’t quite in position for this tiny green metallic sweat bee, so I had to crop a lot, but I love the pose and the focus is darn good, too, so what the heck. Normally I get into position, scare off all bees, wait for them to come back. But this one wasn’t very scared so in it came. Probably an augochlora species and female judging by the sharp inner orbital margin that is visible in another photo where the angle is different. IRL it’s 7 or 8 mm.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts about processing welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld w/Godox flash w/Magmod diffuser for fill

A pretty substantial crop in Lr and work to even out exposure and tonalities with the basic sliders. Added some texture & clarity after it came back from Topaz Sharpen. Also cooled wb slightly since the bee’s green shade is slightly blue. Worked on the level of orange-yellow in the petals so it looked reasonably natural, but not overwhelming.

They don’t get any better than this, Kris. A stunning image of this little bee. You processing looks excellent.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank - it was in many ways a lucky shot since I let the camera do all the work with focusing. Normally if using autofocus I have one hand on the focus ring with peaking engaged so I can fine-tune as I go, but this happened so unexpectedly that it was basically spray and pray. The flowers in the front yard, these and coreopsis, get a lot of tiny bees that never cease to enchant me so even if I don’t get any usable photos, I get to spend some lovely moments with these tiny pollinators.

I love these sweat bees, their colors are so neat. You did a nice job focusing on this tiny guy, and I like how the BG makes him stand out nicely. Wonderful composition. I think our bees are gone already. I don’t have much for flowers left that would draw them, so that could be the issue.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman - the green ones are especially lovely, but the smaller bronze ones are, too. Much harder to get shots of them since they are about 1/2 the size of the green ones. Here’s an attempt just for fun -

It’s 4-5mm long and very slender - that’s a coreopsis flower it’s on. Used a flash for that one, too.

Oh wow, Kris. That is a tiny one, and you nailed the focus on him. I haven’t seen any around here in NC.

1 Like

What a handsome fellow and well captured. Love seeing that sheen of green with all the hairs too. The bee is in a great position on the flower. Well done.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks - the pose is what made me revisit this even though I wasn’t really close enough yet. But I take what I can get.