Another Bee Close Up

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I just had some fun in the backyard and tried to catch some Bees. I experimented with the flash setup. This time I mounted a small softbox to the flash. In addition to the softbox, I pulled down the little onboard diffuser of the flash (as suggested by @Kris_Smith).

Specific Feedback

I like the result of the light diffusion. No blown-out highlights this time. The white flowers are of course a challenge for the dynamic range.
So I’m not sure about the brightness of the flowers. And I don’t like the large dark patch in the URC.
Is there anything that I could improve?
Any feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

• Cropping and basic adjustments in ACR
  • Denoise AI for sharpness/noise reduction
  • Some minor cleanup and contrast work in PS
1 Like

To me, it looks great as presented, Jens! :slight_smile:

Nothing blown and there are no hot spots and the dark section looks like part of nature and natural to me!
The bee is clean, sharp and natural looking! And I’m not referring to the bee not having pollen on it, it’s cleanly recorded, no artifacts or soft spots.
There’s even good detail in the wing!

I wouldn’t change a thing!!

Just couldn’t ask for better IMHO!

It didn’t take you long to get comfortable with that lens and the soft box done a good job!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Yes, the lens works like a charm. I’m glad I got rid of the old macro lens. It was a completely manual lens. Shooting buzzing hectic critters without autofocus is quite frustrating. :slight_smile:

Ah this looks pretty nice - good job with mitigating the flash, although I don’t think tiny pinpoints of clipping in the eyes is anything to worry about. For about 10 years I shot with a manual macro left over from my 35mm days and while it is a gem of a lens, doing things like this was too hard. I like the encapsulating presence of the flowers - it says so much about scale and the lives of these hard working girls. She’s super clean and undamaged so I bet she’s newly emerged into her function as worker. They take a beating and most don’t last more than a few weeks. Terrific sharpness and color, too - very natural looking.

The crop though…eh, it’s a bit centered for my taste and wonder what it would look like with some room around her to the left and a bit less to the right. The petals over there are more crisp and if you blurred them could be more harmonious. Just a thought. I did this for a recent flower photo -

1 Like

Jens: Superb capture and incredible detail where it matters. I agree with Kris regarding the position in the frame. A fairly aggressive crop from the right would help and also diminish the darkish BG in the URC. BTW, I’ve been away for some time and am not aware of the lens you’re using. 90-100mm macros tend to be fabulous lenses and you’re making the most of yours. >=))>

@Kris_Smith, @Bill_Fach
Thank you very much for your feedback and kind words.

Yes, they looked all quite undamaged yesterday. I also have some shots where the bees look really young.

Thank you for pointing that out. To be honest, I struggled with the crop. During the shooting, I tried to pay attention not only to the bees but also to the surroundings. But in post-processing, I tended to go back to cropping. Maybe I overdid that.

Here is the original crop:

I had chosen this picture because the bee is pretty well shot. Maybe later I will post another picture in which the general arrangement is more harmonious.

Oh, I must have missed the flower picture somehow. I’ll have a look at that right away.

Thanks, Bill. I will also play with a different crop.

Yes, I invested in a new Macro lens a few weeks ago. I have enjoyed very competent purchase advice here on NPN. :slight_smile:

Hm…I might have chosen that crop, too. I went to see if I could do anything with some bees yesterday afternoon and came up with zip. Even bumblebees are wicked quick. Will try again later.

1 Like

Hi Jens, I really like this image - a full view of the bee with great details and color. Looks like you managed the crop as best you could. An alternative may be to crop some from the right but I wouldn’t see that as a must do at all. Really fine image.

A gorgeous bee!!! The lens looks like a great investment. Another idea for a crop is to embrace the arcing line of the near flowers above the bee, which mimics her shape, and clone out the BG ones.

Maybe do a little blur cloning in the LRC too.

1 Like

Hi Jens! I love this photo because it looks like we’re looking into this bees little world! I don’t mind subjects being centered at all, but I would make it completely square and maybe do a slight vignette just to tone down the dark green… hope you don’t mind but I had to give it a try, something like this…

1 Like

@Allen_Sparks, @Diane_Miller, @Vanessa_Hill, @Kris_Smith
Thank you all for your feedback.

Yes, they are quick. I don’t know how many shots I have taken that show only flowers. :rofl:

Thanks for your rework. I really like how clean the top part looks.

I also like your suggestion. The square crop and the bright vignette make the bee stand out very nicely

1 Like

I like @Vanessa_Hill’s idea of lightening the green BG!

1 Like

Jens, what details you captured in this little guy! Really nice. I have been out of town for a few days so I’m trying to catch up. Looks like you got plenty of help on this one. I like it.

1 Like